Fatty acids in the brain

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Fatty acids in the brain

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:53 am

I have heard a theory that dyspraxia (and a range of other things, such as dyslexia, ADHD and Asperger's) can be caused and exacerbated by a lack of certain fatty acids in the brain, most of which are found in oily fish.
Is this true? And, if it is, should I break my vegetarianism and start eating oily fish?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:13 am

An excellent book on this topic is The LCP Solution: the Remarkable Nutritional Solution for Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, and AD/HD. Fish-oil supplementation does not work for everyone, but there is credible research that suggests it works for a significant proportion of dyspraxic people. It cannot cure you - at best, it can only help.

Fish-oil supplements don't work for me, but I know many people with dyslexia who have benefited from them. My nephew, who has autism, also takes them regularly. If you want to try them, don't eat the oily fish - that might make you feel guilty about breaching your vegetarianism. Take the supplements in tablet form instead. Most tablets are coated in gelatin, which comes from animals, so it won't kill your vegetarianism if you have a few extra pills that contain fish extracts. Efalex is good.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:39 pm

parnassus wrote: Most tablets are coated in gelatin, which comes from animals, so it won't kill your vegetarianism if you have a few extra pills that contain fish extracts. Efalex is good.

Thank you.

I guess it's morally justified if there's a proper medical reason. Anyway, I feel guilty about something or other most of the time anyway. :oops:
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby alexlaird87 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:30 am

if you go to boots you can by some esential fatty acid suppliments called

"vertese - selectivly balenced Omega Oils 3, 6 and 9".

www.vertese.com

they are sutable for fegitarians and vegans because the oils are removed from seeds and they are gelatin free. i've been taking these for the last month for my exams, and they've helped me concentrait...
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:06 am

Thank you, Alex! *hugs*
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat