Dyspraxia and sensitive stomachs

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Dyspraxia and sensitive stomachs

Postby C » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:43 pm

Anyone else here who suffers from dyspraxia have a sensitive stomach?

My stomach isn't sensitive so much in the way that I'm ill a lot; quite the opposite I'm hardly ever ill and haven't been sick through illness for years. But it's sensitive in the way that I have a sensitive stomach while travelling. I'm car sick if I read in the car and I hate fairground rides and I get sea sick Goodness, do I get sea sick...

I didn't know I got sea sick until on holiday last year when we decided to take a boat trip to see whales and dolphins. I spent the whole of the trip looking out to sea vomiting! I've never been sick like it, I was so weak in the end I just had to lay down on the floor and try and raise my head when I needed to throw up so it would land out the boat and not over me! Nice :D Even talking about this makes me a bit nausaeus so moving on...

One of my best friends is severly dyslexic and she is prone to picking up infections and is often sick.

It probably is co-incidence but I can't help wondering if my sensitive stomach while travelling is somehow connected. Take reading in the car, I get motion sick. Dyspraxia is a problem with movement. As the car and book and myself are all moving does this somehow produce this nauseas feeling in me? I can't explain what I'm feeling...

How many of you guys have sensitive stomachs?
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

stomachs

Postby k9ruby » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:40 pm

I am quite badly dysparxic and i am never really sick. BUT, I am severly allergic to nuts, because my immune system isn't to great!(Plus dust, plus pollen, plus grass, plus cats, plus certain dogs and a certain antibiotic!)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby lukeyj » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:19 am

I have brass balls except when it comes to motorway driving. :P.

But, I have noticed I cannot stomach alcohol like many of my mates, especially beer. So when I used to try and get drunk by downing it would inevitably come back up :P. It's a real problem because i'm not a lightweight so drunkeness is hard to find. Anyhow, not a problem now, as i've cut down drinking to a bare minimum and joined a gym. :).
lukeyj

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:40 am

I get ,motion sick and I get drunk really easily. I doubt either of these are dyspraxia-related, thoiugh.
That said, it doesn't help.
Co-ordination problems + alcohol + stairs = Even those of you with dysclculia can work that one out!
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby bibliophile » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:56 am

i GET REALLY BADLY CAR-SICK AND SO DOES MY DYSPRAXIC BROTHER

I can't read in a car at all

I hink the reason we through up is that it's the body's natural reaction telling us to stop whatever we are doing.
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:28 pm

My brother is dyspraxic and can read in the car without problems.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:44 pm

My stomach isn't sensitive so much in the way that I'm ill a lot; quite the opposite I'm hardly ever ill and haven't been sick through illness for years. But it's sensitive in the way that I have a sensitive stomach while travelling. I'm car sick if I read in the car and I hate fairground rides and I get sea sick Goodness, do I get sea sick...

Motion-sickness is linked to balance and sensory processing. Dyspraxic people typically have difficulty organising sensory input, so young children may be unable to go on roundabouts - they were horribly overstimulating for me, I remember. The same thing happens to me on planes.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby madame_tigre » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:33 pm

I can read fine on the bus but I get really car sick if I attempt to do so in the car. I get drunk really easily, but I don't drink alcohol much, I can find plenty of other ways of entertaining myself without damaging my body-thank you very much!

I absolutely adore fairground rides. Is this unusual for someone with co-ordination problems?
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby medrich11 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:35 pm

I have no allergies, do not get car sick and haven't been properly ill in 10 years but I do get incredibly bad sea-sickness. even looking at the deep end of a pool makes me feel sick.
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby fuzzy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:53 pm

I hate fiarground rides, I get really sick on them so avoid them at all costs! I also cant eat certain foods cos I get ill, but Im rarley physically sick. My mum and dad still refer to me (jokingly) as the 'sickly child' because I was always ill with something as a kid (am still not the healthiest person, prob because I have a crap diet!)
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby alexlaird87 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:36 pm

i never get sick for anything anymore. the only time i used to was drinking, but ive learned my limits. other than that, my stomach has all way's been a one-way system
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat