Dyspraxia and therapy

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Dyspraxia and therapy

Postby phets2013 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:44 am

HI!

I'm interested in finding out about the specific goals that individuals with dyspraxia have aimed to achieve during any form of treatment or therapy, perhaps with a speech pathologist, or an occupational therapist? Did these therapists assist with adapting to the classroom environment at school?

Any information would be greatly appreciated :)
phets2013

Re: Dyspraxia and therapy

Postby Paddington » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:53 pm

I was quite young but I have a very good memory. When I was in year 3 (thanks to my parents)I underwent an hour long occupational therapy session each week. For me it really helped. A the begging when I started after 2 minutes of writing I was in pain that decreased to about 5. Instead of absolutely hating writing. I found writing a bit horrible ( a massive decrease in the hate I felt for writing). I ( an and a few others ) could finally just about read my writing.

It helped with a lot of the balancing problems. Also when I was younger if I ever looked to my left my right hand would jerk suddenly without noticing. Thanks to the exercises this ( one of the main causes of trouble for me) stopped.

The sessions were a great help with helping to adapt me to school life. I was allowed to use special pencils and the teachers were a lot more understanding about the various difficulties I had. Without occupational therapy I don't think I would be able to cope with school. It has provided me with a lot of good things and helped me cope with my problems. The occupational therapist was really nice and friendly and was a big help in dealing with school as she could provide letters/ documents explaining what I needed and made sure my school understood that I wasn't clumsy/ stupid/ lazy on purpose. Its only really looking back on it that I now realise how much occupational therapy has helped me with my life it was a big help and I would recommend you try it.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby Paddington » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Be warned Occupational therapy only effects permanently people under 12 after that age all they can do is help you cope with it.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby Justsomeone761 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:30 pm

I've had occupational therapy when i was 11/12 to help me be better balaced, catch and trow a ball and run. It didn't really help for me. I think this was because the therapist didn't understand my problems very well, maybe because she was very young, andd treated me like a little kid. During the sessions we were ussually just trowing over balls. I know i had occupational therapy before that, but i was so yhoung i don't remember a lot of it, so i can't say if it helped or not. even though my own experiences weren't so good, i do think it wpuld be good to try. It can really help to focus on something directly.
Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them. - Eeyore
Justsomeone761
Advanced Member

Postby lalacurf121 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:43 am

Thanks for the info
royal1688
lalacurf121
Super Poster

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat