Autistic children and certain schools

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Re: Autistic children and certain schools

Postby Rodge1991 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Ok, I agree if the student is a danger to themselves or others then that it is protocol to remove them and put them somewhere safe like in a empty room for them to build up frustration even further...see my point? It isn't healthy and they don't learn to control or learn they just end up in a vicious circle.

Also I am referring to little classroom struggles such as small emotional 'outbursts' (Not necessary violent) but then they get isolated and just left there anyway. Even after they cool down just kept in isolation.

I was like this, I wasn't a danger to anyone. But with my little outbursts I would be sent straight to isolation. However students could walk by and laugh at me and then run off. Eventually I was in such an emotional breakdown my doctor decided it would be best to send me to a child psychologist (I was only about 14). She saw something that the school was missing...my frustration was being released properly and it was building up. She put me as a potential danger that I could snap at anytime.

The school STILL decided, even after constant contact from the Psychologist and my parents, to remove me from one lesson. French. That was the key. That was the subject that was bringing me into my turmoil and making my outbursts happen all through the day. The school did not help one bit. All I can say was, I cracked around 10 weeks later and that 'potential' became real. Luckily no one got hurt-but how was the school suppose to know?

All because I was isolated on a regular basis for nothing.
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Postby wadey » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:17 pm

Rodge1991 wrote:Ok, I agree if the student is a danger to themselves or others then that it is protocol to remove them and put them somewhere safe like in a empty room for them to build up frustration even further...see my point? It isn't healthy and they don't learn to control or learn they just end up in a vicious circle.

If it done correctly the children do learn how to control their emotion. When a child starts to kick off, we take them out of the classroom place them into a room for them to cool down in, we stay there with them and after they have calm down we talk to them about why that behaviour isn't acceptal and what they should do if they start to fell angry. We also have a feeling board in every classroom which really helps all the children but in partially some of the most challenging children. Also when we place them in the in the quiet room we take their work with them as sometimes when they are calm they feel that they are ready to work but not ready to go back into the classroom, so they not missing out on their education
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Rodge1991 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:17 pm

I agree, however I found that many schools (either by the news or personal experience) just leave them in a room and offer no support, not even talk down and talk with them. Even when parents got involved the schools just brushed them aside.

Some schools are an exception and do an excellent job. But I fear there are not that many.
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat