for vicky

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

for vicky

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:47 pm

just looked for that book you mentioned called 'Talli's secret' on amazon, and they have recomended your book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 52-4804415

Lea
xxx
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:04 pm

Nice of them. :D
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:11 pm

yeah I thought it was rather funkay which is why I posted to let you and everyone else know!!!

i will be buying the Talli's secret book on tuesday when i have more than 34pence of my overdraft left!!

hugs and light
x
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby QuintessentialQuidnunc » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:06 pm

I browsed on to check out Caged in Chaos, and they recomended a book by Amanda Kirby, the only review of it was rather biting.

I wonder why such hostility? is this because none of the literature pertaining to teens is relevant?

What books or articles have sparked such reactions in you?

Do recommend any?

This worries me that a 'mythology' might develop arround misconceptions of how people with learning differences live.

Besides, I hate experts!
QuintessentialQuidnunc

Postby parnassus » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:31 pm

I've been on the Amazon site and read the review about Amanda Kirby's book The Adolescent with DCD. It says that ten out of twelve people agree with the reviewer. One of the ten is me. I could have written that review - it expresses everything I think, apart from the sentence where the reviewer calls Dr Kirby's support tips 'basic'. I thought her tips were very sensible. They were just presented in an odd way. I think they would be useful to parents, and there's a good (but short) section for PE staff that I wish my games teachers had read.

I read the book when it first came out in the shops, and I disliked it for three reasons. Firstly - it does seem patronising. It is written at parents and it makes us (the adolescents with DCD) sound as if we are interesting medical guinea pigs, rather than people with minds of our own. The writing style is cold and clinical. And the Amazon reviewer was right about the grammar - it's dreadful.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat