Switch to full style
Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.
Post a reply

How to explain what dyspraxia is in layman's terms

Sun May 12, 2013 10:18 pm

My last assignment for my documentary classes is to make a film about a place and/or person, and my team is going to make it about me and my mum. The topic is how my dyspraxia affects not only me but my mum as well. Now, obviously at some point in the film I need to explain what dyspraxia is, but I don't know how to. When I explained my "situation" to the group, I just said that the mind and body are mismatched, and that messages from the brain get jumbled up. Would this be an accurate explanation?

Re: How to explain what dyspraxia is in layman's terms

Mon May 13, 2013 5:28 pm

yeah, that sounds like a good description, although i thought messages from the brain were delayed but i am not sure about that

Tue May 14, 2013 9:10 am

Basically I assume that everyone on DT knows ground knowledge of Dyspraxia the explanation is easier for us to understand becuase of the foundation we already have. Your best bet is to talk to those who don't have Dyspraxia and don't know anything/much about it to get a more accurate feedback

Good luck to you! Let us know how you're getting on with it

Thu May 16, 2013 10:26 am

I've always described dyspraxia to people as where the brain knows what it wants to do coordination wise but the messages don't get through to the body properly so that's why we are clumsier than average. It sounds like a great project-good luck with it :D

Thu May 16, 2013 10:27 am

I've always described dyspraxia to people as where the brain knows what it wants to do coordination wise but the messages don't get through to the body properly so that's why we are clumsier than average. It sounds like a great project-good luck with it :D
Post a reply