Low muscle tone and hearing loss!

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Low muscle tone and hearing loss!

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:13 pm

Does anyone here have hearing problems? Not as such that you can't handle loud sounds- but the reverse, because i have recently noticed that i require for the t.v or P.C to be up at extremly loud levels for me to hear it 'comfertably'. I reserached hearing loss (because i had never had problems with hearing before!) and could it be connected with dypraxia or low muscle tone (which i have evreywhere within my body) and i found out that having low muscle tone can somtimes result in hearing loss! I am a bit worried about it and would be over-the-moon if people could reply to this question as it might help me! (we are going to get it checked out though- the volume of the t.v is driving my mum crazy :roll: )
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:28 pm

Hypotonia is linked to dyspraxia. (You need to talk to k9ruby about this - she has it.) Hearing loss can come about as a result of hypotonia, but it isn't directly linked to dyspraxia. Quite the reverse - as you noted, most dyspraxic people have painfully sensitive hearing.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

thanks!

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:23 pm

Thank-you i will research this and see what i find!
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby fuzzy » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:37 pm

I have hearing problems but dont think its related to dyspraxia- my dad is also a bit deaf, isaid, A BIT DEAF!!!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

hypotonia

Postby k9ruby » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:56 pm

Hypotonia is linked to dyspraxia. (You need to talk to k9ruby about this - she has it.) Hearing loss can come about as a result of hypotonia, but it isn't directly linked to dyspraxia. Quite the reverse - as you noted, most dyspraxic people have painfully sensitive hearing.

Yep, quite right vicky!!! Yes many people with dyspraxia also have low musle tone and weakness (including me!) That means i'm not that strong, quite floppy and very flexible! :D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:34 pm

I don't have very good muscle tone. I'm not sure if that's part of my dyspraxia, or because I don't do enough excercise.
I expect many of us are weak, due to lack of excerise, because we are so poor at sports and want to avoid the embarassment of playing them.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

hypotonia

Postby k9ruby » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:26 pm

Nope, itrs a directly connected condition ive had since birth :)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby parnassus » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:52 pm

Perhaps it differs from person to person? Not all dyspraxic babies are 'floppy', but many are.

I have surprisingly good muscle tone for a dyspraxic person, and I am - as one of my ex-roommates put it - 'freakishly strong'. I don't exactly exercise much either. Peculiar.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby fuzzy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:23 pm

Maybe you have super powers vicky?! Nah I used to excersize loads and was still pretty weak! Im always dropping stuff coz my muscles arent tight/firm enough but I reckon thats defo dyspraxia related...
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby fuzzy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:25 pm

Oh and Im the most unflexible person ever! my friends often joke that if Im not carefull, Ill bend my arm and it'll snap off- thats a thought I cherish lol :lol:

PS soz for double post; I forgot to say this the first time round!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby bibliophile » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:22 pm

i'm hyper-mobile or something it means my ligaments don't do there job so i am really bendy! it really mucks up my knees though becasue they don't support and the rest of that!
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Postby parnassus » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:06 pm

Is hypermobility also known as Ehrlos-Dahnlos Syndrome, or are they two different things?
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby bibliophile » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:41 am

I honestly don't know it just means that if i do a lot of sport and when i sail i haveto support them!
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat