I cant sleep! Help!

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

I cant sleep! Help!

Postby fuzzy » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:52 pm

Guys! Having a really annoying bout of insomnia, so anyone online please reply and entertain me! I dont wanna have to be forced into watching Big Brother live again!!! :shock:
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:03 am

I dont sleep much well not properly as I have a sleep phobiathe best bit of advice id give you is to try not to focus on it too much as then your subconscious will start to believe you cant sleep
good luck with it
keeep us posted
x
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:10 pm

A thick quilt or duvet, coupled with a wedge of pillows, usually helps me to get to sleep. A lot of dyspaxic people need to feel heavy pressure on their limbs before we can sleep. This is due to something called poor propioception.

Check that your environment is pleasant - not too hot or too cold, and with no annoying noises, smells, or lights. (Like the red light on the plug socket.) Take a warm bath - not hot - an hour or so before you go to bed, and try going without caffeine for a few days.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby fuzzy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:16 pm

Really? I didnt know that dyspraxics need pressure on their limbs to sleep! Well that answers a LOT! Well I got to sleep eventually; I started reading my fourth Dan Brown book- thats enough to knock anyone out lol! :D
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Never heared of before

Postby CarolineAmes » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:32 pm

I have never heared of that before putting pressure on your limbs :?
CarolineAmes
Power Poster

Postby parnassus » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:23 pm

It all depends on your propocieption. This term refers to the feedback your body receives when your joints are being bent or stretched. As most dyspraxic people are not very aware of their bodies, as the signals they give us are all mixed up and distorted, the physical feedback we receive must be strong.
parnassus
Site Admin

pressure

Postby k9ruby » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:45 pm

I HAVE TO HAVE pressure when i go to sleep othertherwise i just don't sleep! Even in the heat of summer i need a duvee and also all windows closed (wind/traffic noises keep me awake!) and i also have to have a significant amount of indirect light (I have been like this from when i was tiny!) :D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:54 pm

I have had trouble sleeping on and off for most of my life. The problem isn't so much inability to get to sleep as inability to stay asleep. Does anyone have any advice on this?
I would advise you all to AVOID CAFFIENE LIKE THE PLAGUE. It may help you if you're tired because of sleep problems, but it will make the sleep problems worse and exacerbate the whole situation.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby fuzzy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 pm

My advice would be if you keep on waking up and cant sleep properly, your obviously not tired enough and need to tire yourself out. Get up for 15 minutes and do something trivial, like tidying your room, then try agian. Wait another 15 mins and if you still arnt tired, repeat. It works! Try reading in bed- that often helps if you keep on waking up. Dont just lie in bed tho- my mum (who never sleeps) does that- she just lies in bed for hour after hour worrying about not sleeping until she finally falls asleep at like 5 am! Pointless! Hope this helps, Fuzzball :D
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:08 pm

It's either two a.m. or half-past two where I am now, depending on which is correct - the microwave or the computer clock. My mind is racing and I can't sleep. Too many thoughts. This isn't a dyspraxic trait, but it's extremely annoying.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby fuzzy » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:00 am

Yeah thats what Im like- my body is tired but my mind aint!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:07 pm

I have that problem, too. I lie awake thinking about things which aren't even important. Like I lie awake and wonder why manhole covers are round. Utterly pointless.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:44 pm

In Saudi Arabia most manhole covers are not round, but square!

You'll never sleep tonight...
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby bibliophile » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:12 pm

man role covers are round so that when they get them out of the ground they can role them! ha ha

Some one has 'borrowed' my dan Browns so i can't get to sleep

I play a tape it has to however be a story i know and the sound of the voice just puts me to sleep!
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Postby parnassus » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:54 pm

I revised for GCSE Latin by playing a tape of the Aeneid before bed. I got a nice grade, but the 'wailing and weeping souls of babies snatched from their mothers' breasts at the very threshold of life' aren't the best sedatives going, put it that way.
parnassus
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat