Switch to full style
Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.
Post a reply

Help at school

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi everyone I'm new to the website. :D

I'm in year 9 at the moment, and I was wondering what kind of help everyone got or gets at school!

Thanx Cam

Re: Help at school

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi Cam, Paddington here welcome to the site im a 15 year old dyspraxic dyslexic (dyspraxic is fantastic- but dyslexics are pretty awesome too) and have too many favorite subjects to remember ( i actually have a note on my computer so i can remember my subjects :oops: ) my hobbies include bird watching,chicken keeping,playing jigsaws,baking and going hyper (that is of course when my nose isn't stuck into any book i can find) just PM me if you ever need anything :)

At school I got an alphasmart in year 9 and I got enlarged graphs for papers I also got weekly sessions of CAKE during a lunch break which taught me and other students alternative methods of learning and revising (we were also given actual cake at the end of each session) this year after i got my report renewed ( 14 pages worth of complicated words that didn't say much) I now get Extra time in exams as well and I have 1/2 an hour a week on my own during a study period with our SENCO. Y9 is probably the trickiest year for learning problems as thats when mine started to show through a lot. As well as school support I also found it useful having a few friends who knew exactly what my difficulties were as they could then stepp in to avoid situations in lessons. Hope that gives you the info you need.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:38 pm

Hi. I'm lucy. I have dyslexia and dyspraxia. I love animals and have 1 guinea pigs, 3 cats, 1 dog, and a beaded dragon. I also am am a foster career for dogs. Welcome to the forum, I hope you like it here

As for help at school, I recieved none.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:39 pm

I had a 1:1 assistant from Year 3 to Year 8 (the time they spent with me decreased over time until it stopped completely). I also had 25% extra time in exams and a typed transcript done of all my public exam papers (GCSEs and A Levels) as my handwriting is so poor. I also had social skills sessions once a week for a year.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:50 pm

Throughout my time at school, I attended various social skills groups with other people who had problems making friends. I also got a laptop and 25% extra time for exams
Post a reply