why do dyslexics get so mutch more recognision than we do?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

why do dyslexics get so mutch more recognision than we do?

Postby Justsomeone761 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:22 pm

Why do dyslexics get so much more help than we do?
It's so unfare that before every test teachers first ask if there are people with dyslexia in the class that could use more time or need help in any other way, and then go make a problem about me having to use a laptop because my hand feels like it's going to fall of of pain every time i write something longer than my name! Why are there all these project days were we have to listen to speeches of an hour or more about dyslexia awereness and i have to talk and explain for hours to even get some recognition that i might have some difficulties and i'm not entirely lazy? I know multiple kids that are labeled as dyslexic and get to have all this extra time and use a laptop and when i pull mine out of my bag they make a scene (i do have permission from the school, they just don't really communicate with their teachers that well, at least not about this) Then the obvious comment: 'But she is dyslexic, you're not.' And than i have to explain and talk and if i'm lucky walk through the school for a while trying to find one of the very few people willing to testify that i'm really not just some lazy kid who wants to go on facebook during their lessons. This is especially fun at the beginning of the year when i have to do this with every new teacher.

And of course i know dyslexic children need help too and are just like dyspraxics, but with other difficulties and that i'm acting very hypocrite right now. And i hope and wish that they get all the help they need and it is great that they are getting it. It's just hard to feel sorry for someone who once took a dyslexia test, got diagnosed and is now practically being made a hero of for surviving school but actually never had any problems apart from having minor spelling difficulties, when i'm being put away as a lazy, retarded attention-seeker when i try my absolute best.

Does anybody else feel like this sometimes? Or am i the only one? I hope i didn't offend anyone. I know there are a lot of dyslexic members on this forum and i really do wish all dyslexics the best. And i'm glad they are getting the help and reccognition they need, i would just want it too sometimes.
I'm sorry for ranting like this, i just needed a place to vent my frustration.

Now I'm going to go to sleep, and when i wake up, I'm going to go to school and give a presentation about how difficulties for dyslexic children differ in different languages. Than I'm going to answer my classmates questions about my own dyslexia, wich they assume i have because of my laptop, and i get to experience the entire circus of explaining dyspraxia once again. Goodnight everybody, and sleep well. (no matter what time you read this :wink: )
Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them. - Eeyore
Justsomeone761
Advanced Member

Re: why do dyslexics get so mutch more recognision than we d

Postby nataliekirkland » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:12 pm

I'm dyspraxic but not dyslexic, and although I don't grudge people with both or who are just dyslexic, it can be annoying sometimes explaining what I am. Sometimes people think I'm pronouncing dyslexia in a weird way or dyspraxia is just another term for dyslexia when I try to explain it to them and it is really annoying.
nataliekirkland
Mega Poster

Postby Justsomeone761 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:29 pm

nataliekirkland wrote:I'm dyspraxic but not dyslexic, and although I don't grudge people with both or who are just dyslexic, it can be annoying sometimes explaining what I am. Sometimes people think I'm pronouncing dyslexia in a weird way or dyspraxia is just another term for dyslexia when I try to explain it to them and it is really annoying.

I don't mean to hold a grudge against people who do get the help they need, i really do want for them to have the best. I just have a problem with all those teachers who won't recognize my problems just because they don't know them, and have never been told how to handle them. I guess that is the real problem. I seem to have a general problem with unfair things, not just the things that disadventage me. Maybe I should study law after school :idea:

I don't know how to make people understand more.
Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them. - Eeyore
Justsomeone761
Advanced Member

Postby Paddington » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:59 pm

Even though I am dyslexic I have to agree with this statement myself not that I am saying my dyslexia is bad but it is rather annoying I mean it rather feels like one half of me is taking credit for all the work the other half puts in. I mean 60% of people who are dyslexic also have dysgraphia and i know dysgraphia is a different problem but they are very similar and so shouldn't we have seen a lot of fuss kicked up?

It thoroughly annoys me when the dyslexics get the " oh you're dyslexic" thing, I have only had my diagnosis recently of dyslexia and so all my classmates at school have known for a long time that i have dyspraxia ( even longer than I have known what it means to be dyspraxic) and it thoroughly annoys me that I am lumped in with the rest of the dyslexics in the year.You have treated me as dyspraxic before but since diagnosis it has changed.

In the foreign dictionaries they only have the word for dyslexic not dyspraxic it is thoroughly irritating that one half of me doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I mean just because they find english tricky- look they excel at art and PE at least they have those two and especially PE on which most peers judge you. We don't have PE or art and struggle in english as well. I mean I believe we should get recognition. I want both halfs to be treated equally for their differences.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby Rodge1991 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Dyslexia has had more publicity, Dyspraxia is slowly getting more recognition.
Also Dyslexia was pinned down in 1887....Dyspraxia sometime in 1980. So Dyslexia has nearly 100 years head start.

I would say 7/10 times I tried to explain my Dyspraxia to someone and they turn around and ask "Don't you mean Dyslexia?"

Because Dyspraxia is not common knowledge I created the blog to get this publicity!
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Everyone used to assume I was dyslexic when I received extra time in exams at school even though English is the one subject I excelled at during my school years. Reading, writing and spelling are all strengths of mine but people just equated extra time with dyslexia. I think a friend of mine from my uni years was surprised once at how angry I got when she said to me, "If anyone asks why you're having extra time, just tell them you're dyslexic!" I said to her angrily, "But I'm NOT dyslexic! I have Aspergers and dyspraxia". She didn't seem to get the difference at all.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:50 pm

That's weird-half of my last post disappeared into cyberspace! I also wrote about how the difficulties that dyslexics face tend to be recognised more than the ones that I face with dyspraxia and Aspergers. To me, looking into someone's eyes is as confusing and tiring as I imagine it must be for someone with severe dyslexia to read a page of text but nobody gets that. I don't begrudge them the help at all-I just wish equal awareness was given to all conditions that affect someone's learning.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Rodge1991 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:54 pm

I will add about poor dyscalculia (Affects Maths/numeracy) it has hardly any publicity compared to even Dyspraxia.
ImageImage
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Postby Luna_is_so_cool_like » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:35 pm

I'm under the impression that dyslexia is more well known than dyspraxia as it is more common? I could be wrong.
- If ever you feel hella sad, just remember that you're hella rad -
Luna_is_so_cool_like
Splendiferous Member

Postby Rodge1991 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:49 pm

There is a theory that Dyspraxia affects the same amount of people as Dyslexia
ImageImage
Rodge1991
Mega Poster