Wud u want to be dyspraxic if you had the option not to be?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby C » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:34 pm

I agree with what Rosanna et al have said. I actually started a topic ages ago on Matts Hideout asking dyspraxic people if they would change dyspraxia if they had the choice and most of them said no. I do feel unique to be experiencing life as a dyspraxic, something 'suffered' by only seven percent of the population. I'm sure people study dyspraxia and we have all the answers in us!

I also think my life experiences due to having me dyspraxia have made me more determined, kind, caring and better with children. I am imaginative, have a good long-term memory and love reading, skills a lot of you share. You guys are all so much nicer than 'normal' people; I don't think that is a co-incidence.

fuzzy wrote:Im suprised anyone on this site is still speaking to me at all

Why do you say that? Of course we all want to speak to you, we value your opinions as a person and all you have to say
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:55 pm

Fuzzy, it would be a very boring world indeed if we all had identical thoughts! You don't have to agree with what everyone else says to be liked by us.

I was diagnosed with severe dyspraxia at the age of fifteen years and seven months - probably because I grew up in Saudi Arabia, and specials needs provision just didn't exist in the highly competitive international schools. Before that I had no support whatsoever, and precious few friends. I was finally diagnosed two years after I came to boarding school in England (like you, I had to approach Learning Support - not the other way round). The psychologist was astounded by the severity of my difficulties. She sent me to have a brain scan and a series of physical tests administered by the neurologist. After we had finished, the neurologist put her clipboard down, looked me in the eye, and said, "I don't know how you've got this far on your own."

I came to boarding school because I was being badly bullied. I developed a mild eating disorder and genuinely believed that I was a worthless person. All my life I had been getting mediocre school results, all my life I had been trapped on the outside looking in. If you've read Caged in Chaos, you'll know this already. If you haven't, my story is on this website in the Dyspraxic Stories section, and my experiences of bullying were reported in The Times newspaper - you can find the article on the Net. I know exactly what you feel, because I've walked in your shoes. And I know they're not comfortable.

But when I was diagnosed, I didn't allow anyone to tell me what it means to be dyspraxic. I worked that one out for myself. It was a slow, painful process, but I was determined to finally understand why I am the way I am. I have realised that dyspraxic people simply view the world through different windows. Our view counts. It's special. It's important. As I said at the very beginning of this message, it would be a boring world if all our thoughts were identical.

The Bronte sisters were dyspraxic, and Emily possibly had Asperger's syndrome. Would they have been the writers they were if they had been 'normal'? What about Albert Einstein, who was so clumsy he couldn't even tie his own shoelaces, never learnt to repeat his times tables, and was thrown out of his high school because of his weak attention span? The theologian and writer G.K. Chesterton had such a poor short-term memory that he once sent his wife a telegram saying AM AT MARKET HARBOROUGH - WHERE OUGHT I TO BE? Would he have been such a creative and unusual thinker if he hadn't had so many traits of dyspraxia? What about Samuel Taylor Coleridge? He was so disorganised that he had to leave university to try his luck in the army - but he couldn't cope with that either, because he was too clumsy to fire a musket and kept falling off his horse. Yet he was one amazing poet.

Every cloud has silver underwear. It may take you a while to learn to accept yourself for who you are, but you'll get there eventually. Trust me on that one.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

re programe

Postby malc » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:58 pm

this is intresting, I am dyslexic and wanted to find out more about dyspraxia and other difficultys, i'm not quite sure thats the right word to use anyway this programme help site called dore well they told me about this site.

would i want to cure my dyslexia. Deffinetly "not" i like the way i am i think i would be a diffrent person if i wasnt dyslexic. besides if i wasnt dyslexic i'd probebly be ingnorant towards lerning difficultys and not know anything about them. Dyslexia is what keeps me going, knowing that i'm not the only one whose been through it all. and had to put up with that bord glazed expersion that most techers give you when you try and explain what dyslexia is.

i joined this site to find out more about dyspraxia, so i'd love to here from you tell me what it's all about. and if you want to know more about dyslexia just go ahead and ask me some questions about it. trust me if i didn't have other dyslexics to talk to about dyslexia i'd bore my family to death with it. which i think i do sometimes.

se ya around

from malc :lol:
I am dyslexic and proud of it!
malc

Postby fuzzy » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:53 pm

Thanks Vicky for your words of encouragement! I guess I will get there. :D

C, I said that because I was worried you lot'd get sick of me droning on and aggravating everyone with heated topics. But I was wrong :D beacuse no one seems angry. I like to get my point across, but sometimes I just communicate in the wrong way and ending up annoying others when I dont mean to!

Malc- Its a bit like dyslexia in the sense that it affects the same part of the brain. The lines of communictaion in the brain are slow and therefore do not reach the appropriate parts fast enough. This results in poor co-ordinaTION (CLUMSINESS ETC), being a slow learner as a child (in the sense that you reach landmark points of development later than your peers, sometimes missing out vital stages such as crawling, eg sitting up, walking, talking), having social difficulties and a poor short term memory. There are loads more symptoms, but these seem to be the main ones that many dyspraxics share, although they do very from person to person- eg I also have awfull handwriting, a really short attention span and am a bit immature. Hope this answers your Q! :D
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby bibliophile » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:03 pm

I share your feelings! although i know about dyspraxia i don't tell any one unless it is pertinent because at my last school i was the only one with anything like that and if say in a sports lesson i physically could not jump rope and would explain that i was dyspraxic i would be told i was using it as an excuse. I think it hindges on the support. I was told by everyone at home that i was 'special' but at seven i knew that if i was so supposedly clever how come i couldn't write as fast as others at school or ride a two-weeled bike among other things? Having read the llibrary is not any great achievmnet when the 'cool' thing is being able to run fast. Also it deepends on the support of your peers when i was younger for my schools version of special needs i always missed the best lesson Art which i happened to enjoy so it was a visual sign for everyone else that i was different and strange so then i was excluded from all the 'in' things and ostresised for it. Also i had a particually horrible teacher who made me sit by myself at the front of the class and have me moved to a school for those intellectually challenged, Having had this for years before comming to my new school it was and is difficult for me to feel proud of my dyspraxia and if i am given a chance to stop walking into walls and the option of writting legably than i would jump at the chance even if that was tripping over my own shoelases!

The DADA website seems to focas on reading age which is not a problem for me so unless i can find something that is more tuned to me than i will remain as i am!
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Postby fuzzy » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:17 pm

Well its good to know that there are others out there with similar feelings as me on this matter! :D
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:42 am

Hello bibliophile,

The Dyspraxia Foundation reckons that there is at least one dyspraxic child in every class of thirty. According to the British Dyslexia Association, one in ten children are dyslexic. Given these statistics, don't you think it's likely that there were other dyspraxic children in your school? Perhaps they hadn't been diagnosed, like me, or - like you - were keeping their differences a secret.

My special needs teacher won't tell me the names of any of her other students; she places a big emphasis on 'confidentiality'. I don't think this is particularly healthy, as it just encourages people to see themselves as so deficient they've got to be hidden away, although she does it with the best of intentions. The only way we can make people more understanding and tolerant is to help them change their minds - not to change ourselves. Cleverness is not always measured by the ability to ride a bike, run, or skip, and people need to know that. Everyone has their own kind of intelligence. Our intelligence might not always meld with a mainstream setting, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

As for the ostracism...I know what you mean. At one point, everyone thought I was a bit dim (see the Is she 'simple'? thread, but when I received extra time and a laptop (courtesy of my diagnosis) and began to pick up the grades I should have been earning all along, my classmates changed their minds. I was obviously clever, so I shouldn't be allowed what they termed 'special treatment'! It was cheating! I didn't deserve it!

Had any of the nitwits actually paused to think (though I suspect thinking was difficult for some of them) they would have realised that I didn't just walk up to the invigilator and say, "Hey, I think I'll do my GCSEs on a computer and have extra time. Oh - and throw in some rest breaks, while you're at it." The idea that I had had several rigorous assessments and had been taking lessons in the special needs department for the past year seemed to be beyond them. Where I was once stigmatised as being 'slow', I am now stigmatised for being a cheat. To a certain extent, I think I will always be on the outside looking in. But I honestly don't mind that so much - you can see all sorts of interesting things from this vantage point.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby bibliophile » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:05 pm

I'm soz i didn't meen to rant i was just in a bad mood about dyspraxia i fell down our stairs and twisted my ankle! lol i'm fine though.

I might not have been the only one in the school that had troubles but i was the only one who was diagnosed and had special lessons that i was aware of throughout the school it was qite small though less than a 100 students!

I get that with cheating people don't seem to understand that Just because you use a laptop does not mean that you are a cheat also what does that say about what they think of you if they think you would cheat!
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Postby parnassus » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:47 am

It says more about themselves (jealousy, ignorance, fear...) than it does about anyone else. You know that when people accuse you of cheating, it means they themselves would give anything to be in a position to cheat.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:29 pm

parnassus wrote:It says more about themselves (jealousy, ignorance, fear...) than it does about anyone else. You know that when people accuse you of cheating, it means they themselves would give anything to be in a position to cheat.

That's so true. I have a dyslexic friend who never used her extra time in exams because she was embarrassed. Its so unfair.
Another boy at my school needed extra time because, due to major surgery, he couldn't move his arms fast enough to write at normal speed. He got the "You're supposed to be bright" treatment, too.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby alexlaird87 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:40 pm

i would diffinatly stay dyspraxic, though a bit of memory would be nice
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat