sarcasm

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby fuzzy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:05 pm

Your friends sound a bit immature, C. Maybe you should tell them face to face that they shouldnt go into your things and then you wont go through thiers! Then again, two wrongs dont make a right. Id say apologise to the girl for going through her bag but and if she is mature enough she should in return apoligise for going through your phone. Just be carefull- carry you phone on you and dont let it out of your sight. I hate it when ppl invade my personal space and go through my things, but maybe thats coz Im a bit older- the girls that you hang out with obviously think that its ok to do that and that its the social norm so try not to take it too personally. As for the note, its a bit nasty not to mention childish to be writing a note about someone in front of them... of youv gotta problem, say it to the person!! Then again, it sounds like the whole thing will blow over natraully, but as I say, if it really bothers you, you should tell them that because honesty is the best policy, says I say! Ahoy!! :D
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby _C_ » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:10 pm

parnassus wrote:I don't think DUH is a fab phrase at all. I think it sounds horribly insulting, presumably because I generally hear it used to belittle people.

Classmate: Turn left at the crossroads. You can't miss it.

Me (gesturing tentatively with what luckily turns out to be my left): This?

Classmate: Well, duh!

To borrow a cliche, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and the highest form of vulgarity. I don't want to use it. I used to try, because I thought 'practice' would help me to recognize it. Then I started to listen to the kind of things I was saying, and I knew that there was no way on God's earth I could keep it up. Sarcasm, to my ears, is just plain nasty.

I don't mind irony, but there is a difference between the two.

Sarcasm is only a low form of wit and the highest form of vulgarity when used in a vulgar way and without wit.

The phrase duh doesnt have to be used so viciously, it can be used cheekily. Its all about tone of voice.

I do use it A LOT. Mainly as revenge for friends using it on me before we learnt of my dyspraxia.

It can be funny, it can be hurtful. But the same can be said of every phrase.
_C_
Super Poster

Postby parnassus » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:30 pm

The phrase duh doesnt have to be used so viciously, it can be used cheekily. Its all about tone of voice.

That's the thing. I don't pick up on tone of voice either, so I can never know whether a person means to be vicious, or cheeky, or amusing, or...

I've got much better at detecting vocal nuances since I started intense drama and elocution lessons, one-on-one with a speech and drama expert. But I still find it difficult to detect people's true intentions through tone of voice, which is why I wish that they would say what they mean and save me the trouble of working it out.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby _C_ » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:36 pm

parnassus wrote:

That's the thing. I don't pick up on tone of voice either, so I can never know whether a person means to be vicious, or cheeky, or amusing, or...

I've got much better at detecting vocal nuances since I started intense drama and elocution lessons, one-on-one with a speech and drama expert. But I still find it difficult to detect people's true intentions through tone of voice, which is why I wish that they would say what they mean and save me the trouble of working it out.

Owch. Not good. I dont have sever dyspraxia - mine is mild compared to most so i can detect things on a good day. If not im all huh? and then hit my friends (gently) with an exercise book until they spit out what they mean!
_C_
Super Poster

Postby C » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:42 am

Hi Fuzzy,

Maybe I should have made it clear; the girl who put the boy's number on my phone (lets call her x so it doesn't get confusing) was not the same girl whose bag I looked in (lets call her y) to find out what the third girl (z, this is starting to sound like a maths lesson lol) was saying about me, although they all hang around in the same group.

I was not close friends with x but I am good friends with y. It happened a while ago though and it has all blown over but I still cringe whenever I think of going through y's bag. I know I only did it to see the note but it was an invasion of her privacy, really. Sometimes I act first and then think later! It has all blown over though, this all happened a few months ago now and I'm sure everyone's forgotton about it, except me. As for Z, that's just what she does... she doesn't have a problem with me, really (at least I don't think so!!!)

Thanks for the advice, though. And yes, some of them are a bit childish in my opinion.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat