Local groups

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Local groups

Postby parnassus » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:57 pm

Do you suppose that we could take the idea of this website further and establish some local buddy groups? (I'm loath to use the term 'support group', because that carries too much of a negative connotation these days.) I read on Matt's Hideout that he and Ruby were talking about setting up a Northants group. I think such groups would be useful for those whose social skills are a little skewed, as well as those who would like to help raise the profile of dyspraxia. It would give people an opportunity to 'get out more', as the saying goes.

What do you think?

Come October, I will either be in York or Cambridge, God willing. Where does everyone else live?*

* We obviously have to be careful about arranging meetings over the Internet, so don't reel off your full address! :D
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Xx_vampire_xX » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:11 pm

I think thats a great Idea Vicky. The only prob is all getting together.

I live in Nottingham
Xx_vampire_xX
Super Poster

Postby parnassus » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:29 pm

I doubt whether everyone who visits these forums could meet each other all at once. We're too far-flung, with (I think) Edinburgh and New Zealand marking our nothern and southern extremities, and America and Saudi Arabia taking care of the other compass points! I was thinking more along the lines of smaller groups, made up of people exclusively from that locality.

I know Dyspraxia Connexion runs a teen group in Nottingham. Have you tried going to it?
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby madame_tigre » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:43 pm

Great idea Vicky!

I live in Leeds, but I wouldn't have problems getting to the Bradford or Harrogate areas as I live quite near those places too!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

group

Postby k9ruby » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:58 pm

Yes I am trying to get one started, the only thing is thatif anyones a member of the dyspraxia foundation could they email me the adresses of those ling in the northants/mk areas
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby medrich11 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:00 pm

sorry but I live right down in almost the furhtest southeast in britain. I live in thanet.
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:53 pm

Have you thought of contacting Dyspraxia foundation to see if they can help/advise with regard to this?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:44 pm

erm I guess I can tell you guys as i trust you all

myself and Phil are setting up a yorkshire group for people withneuro diverse conditions, more info available soon

but im based in leeds and phil is in sheffield, but we plan to have something in most of yorkshire by teh end of the year
x
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fuzzy » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:25 pm

Well Im from Edinburgh but go to uni in Aberdeen.... and I think me and Alex are the only ones in that part of the world..... we could always try and set up a north eastern Scottish one if he was intersted.... but it wou;ld be great if we could all meet up :D i just dont see how thats practical :(

Vicky- go to York. I love York! Its so historical!!!!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:24 pm

erm I guess I can tell you guys as i trust you all myself and Phil are setting up a yorkshire group for people withneuro diverse conditions, more info available soon

Hey Lea,

Is the Yorkshire group going to be a secret? Also - is the 'Phil' you mention the Phil who posts on these forums, or the one who came to the conference? I didn't make the connection between the names before. Now I'm confused about who's who!

Vicky- go to York. I love York! Its so historical!!!!

York may be a beautiful city, but the university campus is hideous! One of my friends once described it as 'hellish 1970s architecture in the Garden of Eden'. Secondly, the fiddly modular structure of the English course makes it look like an overglorified A-Level. The only reason I applied here was for the sake of the English department's reputation, the history, and the ducks.

I know where I want to go, and I have only five more days to go until I find out whether I've made it...
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby madame_tigre » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:44 am

Good luck Vicky! I've got my fingers crossed for you, well they're crossed in a very strange way, but you get the idea!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:13 pm

I live in Stoke-on-Trent and so does alexlaird. Maybe we could start something.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat