This is appalling. I am furious.

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

This is appalling. I am furious.

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:09 pm

I am absplutely disgusted. This doesn't really have anything to do with dyspraxia, but I want to share this information with as many people as possible, because this is stuff which people need to know about and protest against.
I found the following article recently:
27 May 2005: Charity pleads for tolerance as autistic youngsters face Asbos

Children with autism and other serious psychological conditions are being targetted by the government's controversial anti-social behaviour orders (Asbos), according to mental health charities and professionals.

In one case in the South West, a 15-year-old boy with Asperger's syndrome, an autistic disorder, was given an Asbo which stated he was not to stare over his neighbours' fence into their garden.

The young man concerned had no previous criminal convictions, but if he breached the order by 'continuing to stare' he faced a custodial sentence.

His case has been taken up by the British Institute for Brain Injured Children (BIBIC), who have unearthed similar abuses across the country where Asbos have been used against autistic children.

One of the characteristics of Asperger's is obsessional behaviour and a tendency towards repetitive routines which can seem peculiar and even disturbing to people not familiar with the condition. Sufferers of the disorder can have a normal IQ, but find it difficult to read emotions and the effect their actions have on other people.

In one example discovered by BIBIC, an Asbo was given to a 15-year-old with Tourette syndrome, which can involve an inability to stop shouting out profanities. The order banned the teenager from swearing in public, something made impossible by the gravity of his disorder.

In one case in the Midlands, the authorities applied for an Asbo against a 12-year-old girl with Asperger's who had been swearing in the street. It later emerged that she had heard her parents arguing with neighbours and had simply mimicked them.

The cases came to light after the charity launched a campaign earlier this year to promote tolerance of children with behavioural difficulties. Parents emerged with tales of mistreatment by the education and criminal justice systems.

BIBIC spokeswoman Pam Knight said: 'It appeared that the popular phrase "zero tolerance" was being taken literally and affecting their children unfairly. This is zero tolerance gone potty.'

The National Autistic Society last night called on the Home Office to record all cases when people with serious mental disorders had been given Asbos. Campaigners believe the definition of anti-social behaviour in the relevant legislation, the 2003 Anti-Social Behaviour Act, is too vague. They argue that 'behaviour that causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress' could describe the behaviour of many autistic people.

I know some people on this forum, who know autistic people (I'm thinking of Vicky especially) will be particularly appalled by this information, but any sane individual must feel the need to protest against this.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:57 pm

That article makes me feel extremely sad whenever I see it. It has cropped up on these message boards before - Charlotte was the one to bring it up, if my memory serves me correctly - but it's an issue that can never be discussed enough. While I believe that autistic people should be encouraged to take responsibility for their actions, as far as they are able, it is unfair to expect them to live up to so-called neurotypical standards. (I dislike that term, as everyone's brain is different, but it is much better than 'normal'.) My nephew often does things that people find hostile or worrying, but most of the time Ben is more frightened than they are. His more challenging behaviour is often rooted in apprehension. It is ridiculous to expect an autistic person to be able to adhere to the terms of an ASBO when they may be incapable of distinguishing between behaviour that is acceptable and behaviour that is socially taboo. I am close enough to autism to have mild difficulty with these distinctions myself, so it must be inconceivably hard for a truly autistic person to make them.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby monkey » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:58 am

that is truly discusting.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

disgusting

Postby k9ruby » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:57 am

How dare they!! Those people cant help it!! All the other people need to do is understand and just ignore it!! ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHH
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby tujunga » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:54 am

I can't put into words how annoyed I am.

It's horrible
tujunga
Super Poster

Erm...not sure is this has a point but...hey!

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:05 am

I feel that thease situation are very sad (as we have probably all agreed) and i think that thease people that make thease acusations are just frightened by things they do not understand.
For exsample: I suffer from ADHD (you can't just seem to get dyspraxia by itself?) and when i was younger i found it harder to control myself when i became hyper or felt stronger emotions. And occasionally i would go...'loose' in public and the looks that people would give me. I distincly remeber once i wasn't even saying anything but i had like a hyper flap (that is what i call them) were i just simple flap my wrists up and down very fast, might sound silly but it keeps my calm. And when i did this (bearing in mind i was about 7 or 8) this guy came up and started swearing at me and using words i do not wish to write. My mum caught up with him and shouted at him back. I didn't at the time feel to angry becuase i didn't really understand what was going on. But now looking back on it and learning other experiances my other friends with problems have had. I feel quite angry, but at the end of the day my mum said it's thier loss to push aside people who they label with disabilities. Beacuse she has evrey believe that we are inginous and i quote "You are all extremely clever, it's just somtimes harder for people to see that!' and i urge you all to believe this!! :lol:
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby C » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:40 pm

Yes, that is just horrible!

The fifteen-year-old boy was Asperger's syndrome got an ASBO merely for staring over someone's fence?!

I have seen that article before, on Matts Hideout message board I think (www.matts-hideout.co.uk/forum) but I think it was Helen or Matt who brought it to our attention, Vicky.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby madame_tigre » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:14 pm

It was actually little me who brought the topic up! :P

This article still makes me furious when reading it. It makes me so angry when people get into so much trouble for doing something that they can't help doing. I've just started reading Talli's secret and I really feel like shouting at Mrs Harrison and that cow Savannah!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby bibliophile » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:50 pm

i can understand where they are comming from but it's ridiculous and the idea of it just really runs against my way of thinking and the deffinition needs to be changed!
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:13 pm

it is unfair to expect them to live up to so-called neurotypical standards. (I dislike that term, as everyone's brain is different, but it is much better than 'normal'.)

Perhaps the word "conventional" would be best?[/quote]
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:38 pm

Conventional sounds slightly less condescending than 'neurotypical', but it still doesn't seem to fit comfortably - people usually consciously choose whether to be conventional or unconventional, and you don't have much say over your neurological make-up. I used to say 'regular', but that sounds like I'm ordering a McDonald's meal.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby fuzzy » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:49 pm

That is awfull! How would one of us feel for getting into trouble for being clumsy? The police shouldnt be wasting their time on ASBOS, they do absolutley NOTHING anyway! Its like those ridicolous anti terrorism laws where you can detain someone without any reason or cahrges for days on end because they are 'suspicious'. (ie black) All this kind of stuff including the ASBO nonsense infringes on ppls human rights; well I know that the terrorism stuff does but honestly, looking into a garden?! How can the police seriously stop someone from LOOKING at something? And what kind of stupid, wound up neighbours must this poor boy be living next to?
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Police

Postby k9ruby » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:00 pm

The police shouldnt be wasting their time on ASBOS, they do absolutley NOTHING anyway!

Ahem? Did I mention my dads a police officer?

He totally agrees that its ridiculas too, but i can assure you that he does alot to make our part of the country a much safer and happier place (He works for the official top police force in the country), I can understand why your upset and so can my dad but maybe you've been given the wrong impression of the police by your own police force.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby fuzzy » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:19 pm

Sorry i didnt mean to offend you or your dad; im sure that hes very good at what he does and makes a diffrence. But it doesnt change my opinion- Asbos ARE a waste of time. And no, I wasnt talking in realtion to the police in my area- I was making that statement in general; the police in this country are inadequete, disorganised and thats not a personal slight at your dad or any indivual police officer, Im just saying in general. Its like the government- generally its unsatisfactory but it doesnt mean that all politicinans are rubbish at what they do or dont care.
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:38 pm

ASBOs do not work because they rely heavily on the 'name and shame' factor. Most thugs would be proud if they became infamous in their community due to an ASBO, rather than ashamed.

On the other hand, I don't think the police are doing a bad job as a whole. There just aren't enough of them to go round. A stronger presence on the streets would probably help, but being a police officer is such a thankless task that people are reluctant to sign up.
parnassus
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat