Traumatic births!

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Traumatic births!

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:15 am

Did anyone here ever have a traumatic birth! Which could supposidly be the cause of having dyspraxia. For e.g: I was born very quickly in the back of an orange car, beacuse the hosipital didn't believe my mum when she said she was ready to have me- so they sent her away. Apparently me and my mother were in alot of stress which a few Doctors have commented could be the cause of my Dyspraxia. Have you guys heard the same theary or had unusual/traumatic births just out of intersts! :)
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:25 am

If your dyspraxia was caused by a traumatic birth, then technically it isn't developmental, but acquired. You might have suffered oxygen starvation or trauma to the head, in which case an abnormality would probably (but not definitely) show up on an MRI scan.

I did not have a traumatic birth. However, I was very premature. It is possible that I decided to make my grand entrance into the word before my brain had finished developing. But I have had an MRI, and there are no signs of abnormality. I don't know whether neural connections are formed prior to or after birth, or a mixture of both, but I do go with the most commonly accepted theory that the causes of dyspraxia lie within the neurones.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby rita » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:47 pm

how premature were you, parnassus?

I read something really interesting on "idiot savants" it said that some children depite being born at 25 weeks had to develop in some ways at a faster rate in order to simply survive.

I read the EPICURE study that found that quite a few extremely premature children don't develop any problems whatsoever!

My cousin was born at 25 weeks is still very small and has vision problems and something like Crohn's.He's still really witty and smart.

I've wondered if that was a result of his education( he never went to school) or if there was something scientific behind it.
rita
Advanced Member

Postby fuzzy » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:54 pm

I wasnt premature; I had a completley normal birth! :D
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby The_bad_handwritter » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:31 pm

I too had a slightly traumatic birth. As far I know my dad rushed my mom to the hospital but the Doctors went to dinner because none of the open rooms were prepped and ready. They then came back about an hour later and tried to get me out. I was coming out backwards though and so they had to do a C-section (cut her open). Very slight treaces of Dyspraxia run in my family on my mom sides and I got it the worst, mine still isn't half as bad as some of the stories I've heard on here. They think that things might not have been so bad had they got me out on time.
I also had surgery about a year later because I was cross-eyed in both eyes and I nearly died on my mom because I stopped breathing for a little bit.
You Guys Rock my Socks off so much that I have to Wear Flip-Flops for the rest of my Life!!!!
The_bad_handwritter

Postby madame_tigre » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:00 pm

I was born normally, but I caught Meningitis Hib at 22 months and I think this has resulted in me having Dyspraxic symptoms. I don't think I was born with Dyspraxia because I learned to walk at 10 months and I've got a picture of myself when I was about 20/21 months old holding a ball perfectly-something I had great difficulties afterwards.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:20 pm

My mum was induced into labour with me, and I wouldn't come out, so they had to use forceps. I don't see how that could make me dyspraxic, though.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby C » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:28 pm

My mum was in labour for twenty-four hours with me before the doctors discovered that her pelvis was the wrong shape to squeeze out a baby and they gave her an emergency caesarean.

As a baby, I was quite advanced in the way of speech and language and developed at the norm in terms of my physical development. This said, there were some early dyspraxic signs., like my feet used to go in opposite directions when I was walking.

I used to think the MMR had given me dyspraxia seeing how advanced I was in many areas dyspraxic people find difficult but now I think it is unlikely.

I don't think my birth gave me dyspraxia but children born prematuraly do seem to be more at risk of things like autism from what I have seen.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat