Reverse Achievment Pressure type thing

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Reverse Achievment Pressure type thing

Postby Rosel » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:53 pm

This has me in state of Frustration
Since GCSE i've had teachers/ed pyschs say to me
"you should be getting A * s"
"You are going to do A level English aren't you?"
" You should be doing really well with an Arts Degree"
"I was expecting much better from you"

I try and work but i always end up disapointing teachers/lecturers etc.
I just can't work out how to make myself be able to express this capability that people seem to think i have.
I scraped a 2:2 last year but this year i'm even more crazily disorganised and have about a billion deadlines which i'm going to have to extend to the max.
AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
ahem.
Rosel
Advanced Member

Postby parnassus » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:19 pm

You need good study support. Plan your day almost to the minute, using a computer programme if handwriting is too difficult (this is what I do) and follow that plan rigidly. Use different colours to highlight deadlines, lectures, etc. If possible, invest in a Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) to help you keep track of everything. Buy a miniature whiteboard to keep in your room - I have one on a collapsible easel, and I scribble down reminders with chunky marker pens. (Much easier to write with.) If you can't cope with ring binders, use box files for all your notes.

You may want to ask someone from Study Support to help you develop good note-taking skills. I see a lady for up to two hours per week and she helps me with all this kind of thing.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:17 pm

If you have probblems note-taking, record lectures on a dictaphone. Do you have a laptop? That would make writing easier.
Get friends doing the same courses as you to text or phone you to remind you about deadlines.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

pda

Postby k9ruby » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:30 pm

If possible, invest in a Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) to help you keep track of everything.

Decent ones can be brought for under £200 now. I used my price matching skills and got it knocked down from £214 to £165.

If you get one be sure to make sure it has

-Calender
-Sound recorder
-Handwriting/speech recongbnition
- Even better if it has a camera
-SD slot to expandf memory
-IR so can interact with mobile
-bluetooth/wi-fi so it can get wireless internet in hotspots

Any more advice, contact me![/list]
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Rosel » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:21 pm

Thanks for the tips, i have my faithful laptop and did have a PDA which broke athe beginning of term which wasn't a good start. I bought a new one but it doesn't have USB cable to connect to my computer. However my new computer is light enough to carry with me and i've recorded some of my lectures.
but even with all this technological help i still can't get hte ideas out of my head and onto paper. :evil: :evil: :evil:
My Dr thinks i should take a year out, because i'm stressing so much, but i've already started Uni over once i don't want to stop and start again.
Rosel
Advanced Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:41 am

I think your problem is that you worry too much and this makes you incapable of working, which of course makes you worry more and perpetuates a vicious cycle. You need to relax. Have a long bath. Meditate. Go for a walk. Eat some ice-cream. Have a nap. Do yoga. Talk to a close friend. Any of these things will help. If you need an extension for one of your deadlines, ask for it.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:56 pm

Thirteen-thirty-seven is right.

Do you receive Disabled Students' Allowance, Rosel? That could help towards the cost of a new PDA. I have one on my DSA and it is insured, so if it breaks I will be able to have a new one.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby sumer » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:17 pm

[quote="parnassus"]You need good study support. Plan your day almost to the minute, using a computer programme if handwriting is too difficult (this is what I do) and follow that plan rigidly. Use different colours to highlight deadlines, lectures, etc. If possible, invest in a Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) to help you keep track of everything. Buy a miniature whiteboard to keep in your room - I have one on a collapsible easel, and I scribble down reminders with chunky marker pens. (Much easier to write with.) If you can't cope with ring binders, use box files for all your notes.

You may want to ask someone from Study Support to help you develop good note-taking skills. I see a lady for up to two hours per week and she helps me with all this kind of thing.[/quote]i agree
sumer
Forum Master

Return to Study Support