Motivation

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Motivation

Postby parnassus » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:48 pm

At the moment I am having difficulty motivating myself to finish my final assignment (a 2,500 word essay) presumably because the end of a very intense eight-week term is fast approaching and I feel like a piece of chewing gum that has had all the juice sucked out of it. What are you favourite (and most effective) ways of motivating yourself?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:09 pm

I just tell myself to do it. I'm not sure. Promising food is a bad idea. Maybe going out and getting a book. Thinking about how happy you'll be when it's finished. I haven't had motivation problems for a while because I got a CD teaching how to think positively. I played it at night for a while and I'm much more positive than I used to be. Maybe that will work for you.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby parnassus » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:09 pm

My difficulties with motivation don't arise from unhappiness. They come about because I am tired and listless. I have been coaxing myself with the promise of new books, but sadly my bank account just can't deliver! I will have to start punishing myself if I can't get things done, I think.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:16 pm

Are you so sure? When I felt like that I attacked every suggestion people gave until it was of no use whatsoever. It took me years to get out of that!
Perhaps you should have an early night if you're tired. Have you had trouble sleeping? I don't think it's a good idea to punish yourself, especially if you use your work as your punishment! How's your English Literature going?
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:22 pm

English Literature is my work. That's my degree course. I love reading books and I enjoy writing most of my essays, but enjoyment alone is not enough to alleviate the backbreaking workload that we are given. I usually go to bed before ten o'clock (ridiculously early for most university students) because I get fatigued during the day. I need at least ten hours' sleep per night, which means I can't spend as much time working as everyone else does.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:27 pm

We are not getting anywhere. Perhaps learning to think positively would do you good. I know it doesn't solve problems but problems magnify in a negative mind.
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:34 pm

That is quite true, which is why I am thankful that I am usually an optimistic person. Optimism tells me that I am going to really enjoy reading the poetry of John Keats and that the essay question will be one of the most interesting yet. Realism tells me that I am going to be hard pressed to read that poetry and finish that essay for Sunday afternoon. It's not negativity. It's part of the laws of physics - time has a nasty habit of going forwards, whether you are ready or not!

Until someone who is more experienced with university's pressures that I am comes along, I think my best bet is more caffeine!
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:40 pm

I may not have university experience but I know this. What you are saying about realism may be true but you are more likely to get on with it if you join forces with optimism instead of fighting it.
pinkparrot

Postby eDan » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:14 pm

Vicky, although it depends on how much time you feel you can spare, sometimes the best method for rejuvenating the creative juices is to leave it all behind for a day or a weekend. Don't think about the work at hand, do something entirely different. Let your brain have chance to revert from it's stressed, creatively strangled shape back to something normal again! Different people achieve this in different ways. I find a good long walk in the countryside does it for me.
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby fuzzy » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:55 pm

I agree with Dan- take a few days off and dont think about it. Your better doing that than sitiing at your desk knackered, slaving away on an essay you cant be assed doing.
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:39 am

I have been to a homeopath and ahe helped me with fatigue problems.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:07 pm

I go to a homeopath too. I think there's something for increasing confidence that you could try...
pinkparrot

Return to Study Support