H E L P (S.O.S)

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

do u find studing hard

all de time
41%
sometime
47%
never
No votes
depends
12%

Total votes : 17

Postby sumer » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:09 pm

i am having my cristmas test soon but i am not alloud extra time cause de said it is not fear on de other people but i no i need it what should i do
sumer
Forum Master

Postby towildhoney » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:38 pm

If you have an educational psycologists report then I think it should be very easy to discusss with your teachers if your entitled to extra time in public examinations then ask them what the point is in you doing tests in an enviroment thats not reflective of that which you will be expected to perform in other assesments and in fact rather than treating all there students equally there giving exam practice to other students reflective of future examinations while denying you of that.

Do your teachers fully appreciate the problems associated with your dyspraxia, point out to them that as you work slower than the average student, through no fault of your own that extra time is designed to compensate for this and offer you the chance to illustrate your abbilty as your classmates do. For you with your disability explain a resnoble adaption is allowing you extra time as they would offer a large print exam script to a visualy impaired student.

Perhaps though not giving you extra time is due to some practical if so its sometimes its worth picking which battles are worth fighting and some times we suprise ourself with what we can achieve when we have to.
A hard learned leason in my case!

However if this is indicative of the teachers lack of understanding of dyspraxia which makes them belive extra time is an unfair advantage for you. I would try to address it perhaps a gift of 'cagged in chaos' for christmsd reading. This is all going to be easier to achieve is you do have an assesment of your educatioal needs.

Good Luck!
towildhoney
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:00 pm

towildhoney is right, sumer. If you have an educational psychologist's report saying that you need extra time, it is an offence for the school not to give it. If you have not been officially diagnosed, you should arrange it.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby sumer » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:53 pm

wats dat ting-a-mo-jiger
i mean i dont no wat dat person is
sumer
Forum Master

Postby fuzzy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:34 pm

Thats shocking! Have you got a diagnosed learning difficulty like dyslexia etc? If you have, they MUST give you at least 10 mins extra per hour! I agree with Vicky and towildhoney- you need ot get an eeductaional physcologists reoport. Talk to your parents and get them to speak to the school about arranging an assesmnet :D
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Ruth » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

I find really LOUD music helps my concentration. It seems to drown out all the rubbish and let me think. It has to b ethe right music of course. Thoughtful stuff needs something mellow like Morcheeba and hard computery stuff needs Greenday!! Course I have to wear my head phones!
Ruth
Super Poster

Previous

Return to Study Support