I'm Having A Problem With Drama Class......

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

I'm Having A Problem With Drama Class......

Postby GirlInTheGraniteCity » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:06 pm

In primary school, I didn't like drama as it just didn't thrill me. But in secondary I started to like it more so I decided to take it for my standard grade course in 3rd year. I didn't really think of having to fit into a new class with new people so this is has turned into a problem. When we get to pick our groups, before I have had time to think everyone is already in a group. I also find improvisation hard now and everyone else handels it quite well. If I'm not too sure what the play is about or how to act my part well I don't put that much effort in and end up looking like I'm bad at acting.

I NEED HELP!!!

{{{[[[~~~~~~~~~~<<<<<<<OOOO♥OOOO>>>>>>>~~~~~~~~~~]]]}}}

Heyy I'm Caroline, add me on MSN if you like =D Peace out xxxxxx

{{{[[[~~~~~~~~~~<<<<<<<OOOO♥OOOO>>>>>>>~~~~~~~~~~]]]}}}
GirlInTheGraniteCity
Forum Master

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:43 pm

Try asking your Drama teacher after class/a lesson to see if he can help you understand it. If you don't know how to act the part, then try reaserching things it involves.

I am doing Drama for My GCSE's, and our Drama teacher sets us homework of researching. at the moment we are doing a p[lay that in about a girl who starts taking heroin, so we have to reaserch that.

I actually like drama better in GCSE because people don't mess around as much. and the class is smaller. we all have our own friendship groups that we go in when in small groups, but the teacher put's us in groups when it's in 'big' groups (the class is split in to two.), so I can't really help with you on the groups.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby david456 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:40 pm

Improvisation is making it up. If I said to you drink a cup of tea. You would pretend to be drinking a cup of tea. We did strange things in drama like the corridor of conscience. Where you walked in a line in the room and you had to pretend half of you was evil and the other half not and decide what side you were going to be. You are bascially arguing with yourself. Saying I'm bad, no I must be good etc.

I had to work in groups as well and I worked with nearly everyone in the end. The thing is though. You can act in these situations, just be happy. The advice I will give you is to find someone before you go into class that you get on with and say. Shall we work together this week? That way you are likely to be working with them when you have to choose groups.

For my GCSE play I made up an idea and wrote a script, directed and acted. That saved me having to learn lines from a book.

You need to ask you teacher when she/he is on their own what it is the play is about. Say your sorry, but you didn't understand what the play is about and your having trouble with your character and can she/he explain it to you again. They should be happy to help.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:49 am

David's advice is good. Get to know other people in your class outside the lessons, then you will find it easier.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:20 pm

Im taking drama as a GCSE- i thought it was a big mistake, i did my final yr 10 performance with a C- not the mark i was hoping for. I then became really negative in drama and nervours about next yr's final piece! But im doing it know and i realize- all the drama students are in the same boat and i have alot alot more time for the real gcse final piece in yr 10 we had about two weeks! So i think just try your best and stuff and i had issues with improvising, but i think if you feed off others and get a feel for the situation you are acting and empathize with you chracter it should be easier- it worked for me at least 8)
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:39 pm

I never got along with my assigned drama group. They all believed that I was awful at acting and the most insignificant parts were foisted onto me. For our GCSE performance, they planned to devise a script involving an alcoholic mum and a homeless daughter who had become pregnant through rape. It involved a lot of shouting and swearing. I didn't want to act out a role that might have been lifted straight from a soap opera, so I wrote my own play and performed it with a different group, composed of actresses who were also considered talentless by the more confident members of the class.

Overconfident, I should say. All but one of them got lower grades than I did. ;)

Esther and David's advice is good. I would also recommend that you take elocution lessons (such as the programme offered by LAMDA, if you can manage it) to boost your confidence and teach you the skills needed for good improvisation.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:53 pm

I hated Drama because I couldn't get on with anyone. I was placed in different groups, all of whom despised me. I was mainly chosen to play unimportant parts or evil parts. The arguments would arise when I was not ready to have the evil character surrender quite that easily...

Or when the plot was too simple and boring for my liking. It's DRAMA - why choose to have such a bland plot just to make things easier? I didn't like their storylines, always having plans of my own. I was incredibly self-centred at this time and wanted everything to be done my way. I like to think I now have more social skills.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby angel.kisses » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:55 am

When I did drama at school, people always used to hate getting into a group with me as I was never very confident so they always got me to play a baby or a dog or something so I wouldn't have to do anything - it was so demeaning and I hated drama as a result.

I agree with everyone saying try and make friends with students outside of class - it's amazing how much more confident you'll feel with even one other person on your side. If you're taking drama at that level you must be good, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise - they sound a bit too confident which is going to put people off them later in life, whereas they will appreciate you for being calmer and more thoughtful.

Is it well known plays you are doing - if so, there might be study guides available (like there is for Shakespeare etc.), or try searching the internet for more information on the plays. If they're made up, just try and find out as much as you can and trust your instincts about how you play the character.
angel.kisses

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:18 pm

Is drama class required where you all live? I got the feeling it was since you all keep talking like it is a class. Plus, there are a lot of famous Brit actors/actresses. My mom and I thought that maybe acting is a very honorable profession in the UK. Is that why there are so many famous UK actors/actresses?

It's not required here (acting class), but we do have them. I was in an extracurricular drama club for a while. I tried out, but I wasn't very good at singing or acting so I was a part of publicity for "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown". It was a fun musical to make posters for. :D
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby david456 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:54 pm

Drama is not compulsory, no, it is optional, we have a vast array of talented actors and actresses, but only a few make it big in the states as well as here and some stay mainly in television. David Jason is my favourite actor, but he has done TV work through his career, although he is about to do a movie for Sky I think.
Jim Broadbent was a tv actor and has made it big in film. Judi Dench does both.
Keira Knightley did a little TV in extra roles before doing Bend it Like Beckham and she made it big from there world wide and her co-star in the film is now in ER.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Esioul » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:20 pm

I hated drama and dropped it as soona s possible. I was always given the worst parts- I am far too nervous to act. I've sort of sneakingly wanted to be in a Greek Tragedy for a while, but I can't act, so pointless.
Esioul
Forum Master

Postby Danni » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:17 pm

Drama is compulsary (or so it seems!) to 14- then you get to take it or drop it as you like.

I ran out of options, or I would have done it at GCSE. My drama teacher was trying to arrange it so I could do it as an extra (using the school plays as what I'd be marked on) but my home life and mental health started deteriorating, so I wasn't able to take part in the plays and the school orchestra and the choir and doing an extra GCSE (Business Studies) at nightschool!

I enjoyed it though, and might see if I can join some sort of drama group at college- the refreshers fair is next week, I'll see then :)
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty_cute » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:20 pm

I take GCSE Drama, and I havent found the Improvisation difficult - Ive been taking LAMDA (drama exam board), private drama lessons with a friend, and it really helps, so I would reccomend getting private lessons if possible. Hope this has helped? xxx
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:15 pm

At my school, Shanna, drama was compulsory throughout the primary years (what you would call elementary school) and in the first two years of secondary school. Then we had one year without any drama.

In Year 10 (your ninth grade) British students begin to choose subjects for GCSE. There are five compulsory subjects (maths, English, a modern foreign language, and at least two sciences) and four or five optional subjects. I chose to study drama, Latin, history, Arabic, and Religious Studies in addition to the compulsory subjects, with French as my modern language.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Return to Study Support