Group work - aargh!

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Group work - aargh!

Postby angel.kisses » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:36 pm

Does anyone else have to do group work at university? I have it for virtually every module, and it's OK when I'm in groups with people who know me as they know I have to start early and work steadily to get it done, and they appreciate the fact that it's done well and not rushed, but when I'm in a group with people who don't know me, they always want to do everything last minute. Even when I explain that I'm dyspraxic and need to start asap, they look at me as if I'm mad and don't bother.

It's really getting me down as I don't work well under pressure, and it's my degree that will suffer as a result (all the coursework counts towards my final degree). I'm in my final year, so should be revising for my exams too, but still have so much work to do :cry:

I tried speaking to the lecturers and they're no help, and I didn't really think they would be - it's not as if they can force the other students to work - but it's driving me mad! There's not a lot the Disability Assist people can do either, so I don't know how to handle it.

Does anyone have any ideas that won't make me even more unpopular (they all think I must be a complete swot, but I'm not I just need to take more time over things than they might)

I know you probably can't help much, but I just felt I needed to let off a bit off steam! :evil:

Anyway, thanks for listening!
angel.kisses

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:43 pm

I find group work difficult sometimes, too.

I suggest giving a brief explaination of dyspraxis from this site to your classmates.

If they think you're a swot, ignore them. You degree is more important than their opinions.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:10 am

I find group work terrible. Too many disagreements over what to do and when to do it! Groups I've been with in the past have rehearsed and done the work. The only problem was that I never knew what was going on and by the time I understood, it'd be exam/performance time!

I'd try to explain to your group that you're dyspraxic and you need more time. I don't think there's much else you can do.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby kitty_cute » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:44 pm

Well I go to school, and I dread group work unless Im with my friends. I just cant agree with anyone and Im in the corner all quiet anyway.
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:50 pm

I suggest you quietly tell your tutor about your dyspraxia, emphasising how the social difficulties can make it hard for you to work in groups. Ask if it is possible for you to do a coursework assignment on your own. I always think it is very strange to do group work at university level, as your mark is partially dependent on other people's intelligence, their interest in the topic, and the strength of their work ethic. What if a bright, motivated, enthusiastic person gets placed in a group with two people who frankly couldn't care less?

If it isn't possible for you to do an alternative 'solo' assignment, ask if you may hand-pick your group. There must be some conscientious students in your class (I hope so, anyway!) who would probably be very relieved to work with the sort of person who likes to get on with things instead of postponing them.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Tortoise » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:26 am

Yep! know very well what you are talking about. Had the same problem with group work at uni. I'm a very diligent student but I work in my own way - and it's not compatible with group work!! For example, when the group leaves it till last minute they then expect everyone to work non-stop for many many many hours in a row (possibly till early hours of morning), but i get exhausted! I can't work like that at all.. it really does me in. I was always too timid to explain to the group that i had a problem which made me work in a different way. I guess i knew they wouldn't really understand.

In hindsight, i should have asked the course coordinator to give me an alternate task. So maybe they could set you a task which you could do independently. Easier said then done hey!?

However, I have done group work at uni where I had good friends in the group and the task was quite easy- it was no prob at all.

good luck,
Tortoise
Tortoise
Advanced Member

Return to Study Support