Switch to full style
Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.
Post a reply

Have trouble taking notes in class? Try this:

Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:30 am

As a dsypraxic, my handwriting is less than steller, so I have to type everything in order to produce legible wording on paper. However, even though i'm fairly good at typing (I don't type like normal people do, I don't have the dexterity for that. Instead, I developed my own style which is an extremely fast variant of the hunt-and-peck system using both hands).

In my classes, a lot of my professors talk really fast during lectures and I simply can't keep up even on my laptop. Often, I miss entire concepts as I was typing out the previous one.

I came to a realization: Since I have a laptop with speakers, why not record everything?

I use the free open-source sound recording program Audacity (I use the Linux version, but there is a verson for Windows XP that is identical-- it also has a lot of nice tools that allow you to boost the volume of a recording if it's not loud enough, etc. ) and a plug-in microphone to record the professor as he/she is talking. The computer does all the work and I just sit back and relax. After the lecture, I compress the recording to a mp3 file, and then play it while I'm working on something else.

I would suspect that most of us have laptops anyway, so give this a try, it might help you like it did for me. It helps to tell your professors that you're dyspraxic, that way they probably won't mind being recorded.

Re: Have trouble taking notes in class? Try this:

Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:35 pm

I never thought of this before! Thanks, I will definitly give this a try!
Post a reply