Laptops

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

best make of laptop

Poll ended at Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:41 pm

Dell
13%
Hewlett Packard
13%
Toshiba
No votes
Acer
13%
Sony
13%
Philips
No votes
Apple Mac
13%
other(please specify)
38%

Total votes : 8

Laptops

Postby greggy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:41 pm

hi i was just wondering if anyone had any advice on the most portable and dyspraxic friendly laptops :D

as i will be getting one soon ready for the new school term when i start my GCSEs :evil:
thanks
Dyspraxia might restrict some of my capabilitys

But it also heightens my awareness :)
greggy
Advanced Member

Postby Ross Millar » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:36 pm

Im not aware of dyspraxic friendly laptops lol but there is some nice 1's.

I work in a computer shop on a saturday and i know about a range of laptops. It really depends on what you are using it for. If you're school has mostly apple macs go for that its a nice laptop and very functional i.e. you can edit video and it comes with software such as apple office where buying a windows based laptop doesnt come with microsoft office normally and it could add a large cost up to £300 if you had to buy microsoft office. Apple macs are nice laptops but by far the most expensive compaired to a lot of the windows based laptops.

Dell laptops are ok and tend to have a very good battery but if something goes wrong there back up support isnt very good. Software such as microsoft office may not be included. I had a Dell laptop a while back and i culdent really complain.

Acer laptops are very nice and i was inpressed with the range.

HP laptops are very nice indeed and if i was going to get a new laptop i would defenetly concider it. there seems to be some good deals on HP laptops at certain times throughout the year.

Havent really delt with an IBM so i cant really comment but it seems more for a busness enviroment.

Im using an NEC laptop and im loving it! Came with Microsoft works (which i dont use because im not a fan) I bought Microsoft office instead because im off to uni.

Sony i beleve can be fairly tempermental especally if wanting parts

-----------------------

Spec of a laptop you should be aiming for

- Built in Wireless (Gr8 when you go to a hotel or holiday abroad provided they have a wireless connection or if you have a wireless router you can connect to the internet)

- min 40 gb Hard disc drive
- DVD-RW drive
- 256 - 512 Ram
- Windows XP

(you may need to buy additional software if it doesnt come bundeled)
-----------------------

- Laptop hard drives can be very unreliable so get blank CDs and a pendrive and back up work!! I had a friend who didnt do this and he lost a years work!!)

Pen drives (flash drives) are very good. You can plug it in to the USB save work and then go to another computer and open it. This is gr8 for school!

-----------------------

Hope that makes sense .. anything else you want to know ask me and i will get back to you!

Ross
Ross Millar
Super Poster

Postby greggy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:14 pm

thanks that will be very useful
Dyspraxia might restrict some of my capabilitys

But it also heightens my awareness :)
greggy
Advanced Member

Postby monkey » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:18 pm

i like NEC laptops. my Dad has one that he lets me use and it is very good.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Page » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:25 am

I use an IBM Thinkpad T22 running Debian linux. (originally came with Win98, but I decided to go the linux route and have no regrets on doing so. I have full immunity to nearly all viruses/malware, and I have all the free software that I need for every conceivable purpose at my disposal.)

I bought imy IBM secondhand and haven't had any problems with it. IBM laptops are indeed business-class and are enginerered for heavy use (as are most laptops) and can generally take a reasonable pounding.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Joss1991 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:46 am

I use a dell as everyone in my school has there own laptop from yr 7- yr 11 . We used to use compaqs and there good.
the darker it is the more stars you can see
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby Page » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:19 pm

Joss1991 wrote:I use a dell as everyone in my school has there own laptop from yr 7- yr 11 . We used to use compaqs and there good.

compaq is not what it used to be. They used to be good, but now I wouldn't recommend a compaq to anyone.
Page
Mega Poster

Return to Study Support