Switch to full style
Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.
Post a reply

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:07 pm

hopefully i get a scribe for my exams, either if i have to kinda lie to the guy assessing me

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:33 pm

bpcooper wrote:hopefully i get a scribe for my exams, either if i have to kinda lie to the guy assessing me

Can you lie? I am genuinely curious as I cannot lie at all, even when I sometimes might benefit from it-I just can't do it and I was told this was a common autistic symptom.

Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:54 pm

I have exams in May and I'm really worried about them all. Uni is the best thing that's ever happened to me and if I don't get 40% (pass mark) then I'm out. There are a couple of modules that I'm finding really difficult - whenever I go to revise for them I just can't concentrate because I get so stressed.

Statistics is another worry. I don't know how I'm gonig to cope as it gets harder. What's worse is that we have a SPSS exam coming up as soon as I get back after Easter which counts for 5%. SPSS stands for Statistical Package for the Social Sciences; the test is on the computer and I have to input fictional data from participants and then determine if the difference is significant with relevant statistical tests etc. I know this only counts for 5% but my slow skills is this area are worrying - as I continue with my degree the stats is going to get harder, I shouldn't be struggling at this early stage!

Also, this may sound really silly but the extra time thing is bothering me. I was recently thinking it's funny how people with extra time always seem to have 25% extra, no more or less, no matter how bad their difficulties are. I'm sure I could do with mroe time for statistics...

Another thing that bothers me is that people will see me have extra time for the SPSS test. Every other test I've done those with extra time have sat it in a different room from the other students and so nobody has noticed. I think in my stats group I'm the only one with extra time. It's not that I'm embarrassed about dyspraxia I just feel it's a personal matter and I don't want peopel that I don't even know knowing. I've only really told a few people and that was months ago. It didn't really go well and it put me off telling anyone else. I'm sure they'll be plenty of comments like 'How come you get extra time?' and 'I never knew you had dyslexia!'

Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:41 pm

I remember when I thought i might be getting extra GCSE time and people reacted badly at school, but in the end you need the time for yourself, you need it to do the work that they can do without it.
The only reason they migt feel cheated is if you then beat all of them, but if you do then it simply proves how much work you've put in.
I hope your work goes well...and if you need more help with how to revise I can try, but to be honest I've never taken a big test :oops:

extra time

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:37 pm

It depends- if your gross motor skills are awful, but your fine motor skills are ok (so you can write normally) then there is less of a case for extra time than if your handwriting is slow and illegible. It's based on the student's needs, not just their diagnosis.

I don't think it's just a matter of writing speed. That is definitely my biggest problem in exams, but my short-term memory skills and attention span also play a large part. Often I forget the question in the middle of my answer. Or I 'zone out' and wake up in a panic to realize I've spent five minutes gazing into nothingness.

I don't know what I would do without my extra time and laptop. Take my mock exam for IT as a example. I am predicted A/A* but i just got to use my laptop, because of "rooming problems" and got a D. However, last year I had my extra time aswell, and got a A, with about 2 marks off an A*.

For me I have it for a number of reasons:

-My handwriting speed is only about 14 wpm
-If have to i write fast, no one can read it
-the faster or longer I write, the quicker my hand aches
-my hand gets tired and the ache "spreads" around my body
- my hand shakes (i have tremor)
-I cannot put a mark on the paper as my hand just will be too tired
- my short term memory is awful. To this date, the only telephone number apart from 999 that i can remember is my home number.
- my processing speed (the bit in the middle of reading/answering a question) is very slow.
-my sense of urgency is not very good.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:23 am

I received extra time. Sometimes I accepted it, feeling really embarrassed. I once got a blister (or something similar) on my hand from a three-hour exam. :x

Sun May 13, 2007 3:11 pm

Also, this may sound really silly but the extra time thing is bothering me. I was recently thinking it's funny how people with extra time always seem to have 25% extra, no more or less, no matter how bad their difficulties are. I'm sure I could do with mroe time for statistics...

25% does appear to be the usual but I knew a girl at college who had 100% extra time-she was blind, deaf and had severe mobility problems and without this amount of extra time would have been unable to take the exam-as it is, she got an A!

I get 25% extra time-I used to have a transcript too but I don;t get this at uni because apparantly my handwriting isn't bad enough even though my college and school thought it was!

Sun May 13, 2007 7:11 pm

I have 50% extra time, but I rarely use it to the last minute.

Mon May 14, 2007 1:09 pm

When I was at school I got 25% extra time but got asked would I like it - I think I used most the extra time in each subject,

In college I did not need the extra time for GNVQ ICT and GCSE Maths

The qualifications I am doing now are all computerise task(s) questions so there is no writing to do, the time limit is quite tight for each computer exam even though there are about 17 questions

The tasks for each question are broken down so it easier to read for all
Last edited by Philip on Fri May 18, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon May 14, 2007 1:38 pm

I get 25% and the use of a computer in Exams. It's good for me to have the extra time because it allows me to make sure I'm clear in all my answers.

However I also find it funny that I can type a fair amount faster than my fellow students can write. Which allows me to write a LOT more for my exams.

In the exams with extra time I've always been allowed to leave early, the other extra timers before I got extra time were allowed this also from 13. It's recommended that you stay for the full amount to not disturb others if you leave early, that plus it can't hurt to stay longer and correct a few answers, even if it gets you 5% more.

I think the 15 or so people taking my course at Uni in my year knew about it in the first week. Not because I was gloating but because I'd prefer they knew than speculate when I take my exams.

Tue May 15, 2007 1:00 am

I'm eligible for at least 25% extra time for all the exams I have this year, had to do a long series of pointless tests and assessments to get it though.

Wed May 16, 2007 8:15 am

I am geting 25% extra time for my Spanish reading exam (which i will take tomorow) i normaly get 25% for everything. My handwriting is very slow and untidy (9 words per minut with a 79% ligibility). i also have quite slow prosesing skills and i can't understand anything if I panic which tends to happen a lot. i nead time to calm myself down and write.

Wed May 16, 2007 9:14 am

Can you not apply to take your exams on a computer? With 79% Legibility it seems daft not to really.

Wed May 16, 2007 9:20 am

Foreign language exams are nearly impossible to do on a computer, I had a computer for all my GCSE's except for french and welsh for that reason. I have 25% extra time and a scribe this year for my exams.

Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:11 pm

ya i get extra time for da gcse exams and a scrib 8) 8)
Post a reply