Yet some twit from the daily mail- makes me so angry!

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Yet some twit from the daily mail- makes me so angry!

Postby k9ruby » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:31 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

Arrrrgh! When, Oh when will they learn! :roll: :roll: :roll:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby druchi » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:28 pm

sometimes you just wnat too hit these people square in the face im furious that someone can be so...so....so idiotic whats next?
DAILY MAIL REPORTS BANNANAS HAVE FEELINGSS TOO!!!!

i try not too listen to the daily mail its one of these papers that has never heard of the word 'fact' why on earth they even listend to that doctor Elliot whatever is beyond me

thats made me so angry :evil: i bet this Elliot person is one of those old fashioned people who beleives that anyone with a difficulty is idiotic as was beleived back when the belt was still a round.....

its utter rubbish and it makes me so angry to hear people talk such *words that should not be used on polite conversation*
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Chinagirl » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:50 pm

THAT ARTICLE MADE ME SO ANGRY I WANT TO PUNCH THE AUTHOR!!!!! 2 of my friends are dyslexic, and they have severe difficulties. they are not stupid. :evil:
pie

Make your dreams happen and never give up
Chinagirl
Splendiferous Member

arrgh.

Postby k9ruby » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:03 pm

But the only bit, partly i agree with, is when people with no problems try and get laptops extra time/etc (look in general to see my post) as some people with no problem will do that.

But, on the otherhand, are they saying that richard branson is thick? whatthehell! :!: :!:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby druchi » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:06 pm

augh cant people use there brains rather than the Headline?
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

i knw

Postby k9ruby » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:07 pm

I know....just motnths ago they were reporting the DORE treatment was a cure for all ASDs. :roll: :roll: :roll:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby druchi » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:14 pm

well like i said just ignore the Mail and read quality papers i *if i was too ever buy one* personally prefer the Herlad great paper according to my dad :)
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:36 pm

It's a report on the opinion, if you want to smack someone smack that doctor, he's talking bollocks.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 pm

thats really peed me off
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby monkey » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:53 pm

that person does nto know what dyslexia is to write that i think. heeps of peoeple here have dyslexia and noen of us are stupdi.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:16 pm

Dr Elliott's research was carried out over two years ago. The Daily Mail is just reheating old porridge with this article. I wouldn't worry about it.

Secondly, Dr Elliott's views have been twisted slightly by the Mail. He has never claimed that dyslexia equals stupidity, just that the diagnostic term isn't helpful and should be scrapped in favour of more rigorous educational techniques. I still think he's wrong (especially as he seems to believe that dyslexia is solely about reading skills) but the Mail has definitely misrepresented him.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Dork_Lord » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:56 am

I've come to learn not to listen to the daily mail at all. The amount of twisting the truth they do in that paper is tantamount to overt lying. For a start I know that dyslexia doesn't equl stupidity, one of my friends is dyslexic and got relatively high gcse grades, but is terrible at spelling.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby madame_tigre » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:53 am

I first heard about the article in metro. I didn't pick up a copy the day the article was printed, I heard about it by reading complaints from dyslexic readers in the letters section.

Reading the article has made me cross, but I'm wondering now whether all these newspapers just want a reaction. They should stop twisting the truth.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:11 pm

:evil: Before I continue may I point out that I am just furrious as everyone else, I would have put an angry comment on but then the daily mail would have my email address.:evil:

I would just like to point out that certain disorders acctually are being over-dignosed, diverting attention from those who need it.

:x Other than that the article was Bull-S**t (look - they've lowered me to the level of swearing once again). Particularly the part about parents, my parents where pushy when it came to my arangements, but only because the senco wasn't going to do anything on her own other than put me in the C stream!!! Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to belittle C candidates, but I'm expecting all my grades too be A* to B with the exeption of drama, I'd be bored to death in the C stream (as I am in the C set she put me in for English). What is it with the Daily Mail, I'm disabled, I'm a teenager, and I'm middle class, why do those things make me sub-human!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:06 pm

The problem is that some people who don't have dyslexia pretend to. Few people commenting on it deneid the existance of the condition, but many believed that people lie about it. People fake conditions that they don't have. The impact of this can be toxic to people who genuinely have those conditions. I feel a great deal of sympathy for those who really feel they need to lie and get labels which don't fit in order to get permission for who they are, but when they lie they will jeopardise the support received by anyone who has a real medical condition.
Some people are unable to cope with the belief that they are average or below average. As Dr Elliot said, (and on this count he IS right) "there is a great stigma attached to low intelligence." There is even a great stigma attached to average intelligence. People have unrealistic expectations of themselves and so they look for excuses - conditions they don't have. Not everyone has to be academically gifted - there are other kinds of gifts. People need to recognise the good things about themselves and see that they don't need to be perfect, rather than reading up the symptoms of conditions they don't have on the internet then either subconsciously convincing themselves they have them and dmaking mistakes they wouldn't normally make, or actively lying to professionsals.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Next

Return to Study Support