Getting our studying under control

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Postby Henri » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:14 am

Today

- Read: Access to History, Macbeth (and study guide), and the Law Textbook.

- Research English essay techniques.
Henri
Forum Master

Postby Steph » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:54 am

Today I need to: watch an educational documentary in the library with my friend from my course.

Return one of my library books before 10pm to avoid a fine.

Do more on my essay so hopefully tomorrow I will only have the conclusion (hopefully!)
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Danni » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:13 pm

Not studying, but I'll list anyway.

Today I need to:

Go to the dentist at 2.10pm

Wash my dishes and generally clean up

Get reading some of my backlog of emails (just under 1000 to go)

At 5pm, start washing my clothes.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Qasim » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:31 pm

Not studying either, but this may help anyway.

Start designing the Land Rover repairs website.

Finish the email letterhead (overdue)

Spend atleast half an hour doing exercise.
Qasim
Mega Poster

Postby invisifish » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:33 pm

I try to organise myself, but I never stick to my plan, I always get sidetraked by books or my computer or just something realy tiny, which I could obses over for ages. I am the same in exams, I just can't focus. I am off school today (I need to sort my self out, I realy couldn't go in today, luckily, my mother saved me from doing anything drastic by just letting me stay off), so I was meant to get my work load under control and tidy my room, and now the day is nearly over and all I have done is revise (which I do by reading the text book, so it is easy) and put some of my clothes away. I have to catch up with my photography coursework (I am very very beind and am finding it all dificult to do) and start some English course work. I havn't maneged to do any real work. I never can, I never seem to have enough time, but when I do have time I can't use it properly. :( It is so upseting. I'm so behind in everything. :cry: , I'm just fed up and I can't cope. Everytime I try to get down to work I get to anxious and can't do it.
invisifish
Splendiferous Member

Postby eoakley » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:01 pm

I am Having the issue of no motivation at the moment, I am now in my 3rd year at uni. My littrature review for my dissitation is due in on the 29th I havent started yet eakk . I have been meaning to start in for about a month but things keep happening. I split up with my boyfriend 3 weeks ago, then just needed to spend sometime at home with my mum, now I have a chest infection and have spent the weekend in bed.

I also have the problem of there being very limited amouts of littrature on the topic of academy schooling except on websites (oh why did i think it would be a good idea to write 10,000 words on academy schools and urban education reform)

Tonight:
Must write a Plan
Tomorrow
Must find academic littrature and try to relate it to the topic
eoakley
Super Poster

Postby Steph » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:36 pm

I still have 2 paragraphs as well as a conclusion to do tomorrow but I did get 2 paragraphs done which is good!

Amy,
I am really sorry you're finding things so overwhelming at the moment-is there any way you could talk to your Photography teacher and English teacher and see if there are any coursework help sessions where they can help you catch up? I really hope this gets sorted out for you soon.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:02 pm

Amy- I think you should ask for some help from a teacher. If you have concentration difficulties, there are a few things that might help:
1. Special diets. There are a variety of special diets for people with SpLD. They do not work for everyone but they might help.
2. Hold onto something to squeeze.
3. Promise yourself rewards for focussing.
4. Wear earplugs so sounds don't distract you.
5. Wear Irlen lenses so you don't get distracted by bright lights.
6. Take regular breaks. (You might want to see if you can have rest breaks in exams.)

eoakley- *hugs* Breaking up is horrible and sor is being ill. Treat yourself and try not to get stressed (easier said than done). If your personal problmes are getting in the way of studying, talk to your tutors.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:24 pm

I have almost finished my essay-just have the conclusion to do now. That is a relief although it is almost 2000 words over the limit but the marker says that as long as the material is relevant, the length doesn't really matter and that she's more concerned if they're significantly underlength. I hope I do well in it because it's an interesting topic and I've spent ages researching and writing it up!

Tomorrow I need to:

Write the conclusion and bibliography.
Return the library books that I used for this assignment.
Decide on an essay title and get out the relevant library books for my next essay.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby eoakley » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:48 pm

Feeling a bit more motivated today and the chest is a bit better the antibiotics must be working.

I have spent a few hours in the uni libary this afternoon and found some articles for my littrature review also found some very useful websites last night after id written my plan, Its just a case of going through and writing it now.

Tonight
Write first few paragraphs
Check PGCE personnal statement ready for meeting with tutor tomorrow

Tomorrow
Try to finish littrature review
eoakley
Super Poster

Postby Henri » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:45 am

Today

- Complete reading of the New Labour review text

- Progress to Act V of the Macbeth analysis

Vicky, this was a wonderful idea, it has really helped me personally, and I'm glad to see so many people participating. Perhaps you should make it a 'sticky'? I can see it being around for a very long time.
Henri
Forum Master

Postby Lucy_Rush » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:14 pm

I also think this is a great idea.

Today:

Do Networks Homework.

Hand in Statistics Homework.

Start on 'Header Sheets' for number theory. Do as many as poss but at least Lectures 1 - 10.

Wash Pots. (Am forever putting that off)

Wash clothes and duvet cover.
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby Cartouche » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:20 pm

Lucy_Rush wrote:Wash Pots. (Am forever putting that off)

Ah, me too.
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:33 pm

Well I have done the conclusion-my essay is 2723 words over the word limit but luckily the marker is quite sympathetic as long as the content is relevant so it should be OK! I've returned the 2 most urgent books (deadline was 10 pm today) and I'm going to start on my bibliography in an hour or so and then choose the title for my next essay. Tomorrow, I need to return the other books and get the books out for my next essay which should be an adventure as there are only 5 titles and 250 students! I also need to start editing my literature review for my dissertation tomorrow too.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:58 pm

TODAY / REST OF DAY

* Try get hold of my personal tutor at uni
* Have a bath
* Work on essay
* Get a cab at 6pm to Hillel House
* Remember to ring Josh for him to meet me when I get to Hillel as I dont know where the location of
* Watch the footie COME ON ENGLAND! and quiz is
* More of essay

TOMORROW

* uni from 9am - 5pm
* Meet the boy when I finish uni
* Jsoc elections - go support a friend who is standing
* Come home from the Jsoc elections and make a chocolate cheese cake
* watch a dvd with the boy

FRIDAY

* uni from 9am-noon
* come home
* get ready (going to a murder mystery party with the boy at a friend of his)
* remember to take the cheesecake to Caz and Nic's
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

PreviousNext

Return to Study Support