English Essays in Exams

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

English Essays in Exams

Postby wm1995 » Wed May 12, 2010 6:02 pm

I have an upcoming mock for the English GCSE (it's technically an internal exam, but it is essentially last year's GCSE paper). The problem is that I fear I'll be unable to finish my essay. My average mark is 28.667 (3dp) /30 even though I despise the subject. What I fear is that I will run out of time. For my essays, I generally spend about three to four hours (one hour of which is generally distraction of some sort), but in the exam, I don't have my notes (obviously) and I only have 52.5 minutes factoring in extra time (25%). I am allowed to make use of a computer in the exam. Any advice?
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Re: English Essays in Exams

Postby Alice » Wed May 12, 2010 6:42 pm

No advice for the mock, but in terms of distraction for the real thing you don't need to wory. Panic focuses the mind wondefully.

Unless you panic too much, try not to do that.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby abi » Thu May 13, 2010 8:06 am

the first thing to remember is that it is only a mock, IT WILL HAVE NO BEARING ON YOUR FUTURE.

make use of any support available, and maybe consider asking for rest breaks, these helped me.

you should have aseperate room if u get a computer, ask for one with as few distractions as possible (or ask them to cover posters/displays).

these are all things that helped me, if you need more help that i can give you, ASK.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby wm1995 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:19 pm

Thanks for the advice! I sat the exam today, and I didn't finish any of the essays (I had 25% extra time, so about three hours for three essays), nor were they of particularly good quality. Fortunately, I talked to the SENCO dept. and it looks as if I might get 50% extra time next year for English!
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby abi » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:33 pm

brilliant to hear about the extra extra time, and it might be worth considering asking if there is the possibility of a scribe, i found that when saying what to write out loud, and having another person there giving you another incentive to keep your focus both helped me for some of my work.
also, it might be worth asking what seperate room facilities are available, if you can have a choice, ask for the most plain/least distracting one possible, ask to see the room in advance too.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby wm1995 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:08 pm

Unfortunately the room for extra time typists is in the languages corridor, and is therefore covered in posters (they cover the text, but not the pictures themselves). It also has a window looking out towards some trees and the 'normal' exam hall. Other than that, it is quite a nice room. I will look into a scribe, although I doubt they will offer one and also that I could work with one (I need to write down all the thoughts I have about the essay or else I'll forget them, but writing them down takes such a long time that I forget what I'm saying half way through the sentence).
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby abi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:07 pm

most scribes will allow you to have 'scribble paper' as my 1:1 support teacher calls it, this may help you to remember and structure points before dictating.
if you speak to the SENCO in the school, and ask them if they can cover the pictures as well as the writing, and ask to have a seat facing away from the window.
in some establishments, it is possible to ask for a room totally on your own, i found requesting permission rest breaks made this easier to get.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby robertpiazza » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:55 am

The time is the most important factor, if you need more time then ask to SENCO.
robertpiazza

Return to Study Support