Having trouble with time management

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Having trouble with time management

Postby AndrewCook95 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:27 pm

In my exams, I'm ok with most of the questions but I just keep running out of time because I overthink the answers. Any tips on how to manage my time better in exams? Thanks, Andrew
AndrewCook95
Forum Master

Re: Having trouble with time management

Postby Steph » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:34 pm

One of my dyspraxic friends on Facebook came up with the idea of a silent flashing alarm that doesn't disturb everyone else but reminds you to move on to the next question when I was complaining about the same problem during my university exams. Try to allocate time according to the marks. For example, don't allocate as much time to a question that is only worth 4 marks than one that is worth 20 marks.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby AndrewCook95 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks steph, do you have any idea where I can get one of those flashing alarms. And as for allocating time according to marks, I try but ALWAYS end up going overboard on the answers (usually essay style questions)
AndrewCook95
Forum Master

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:01 pm

Do you get extra time?

I have a similar problem (unless I haven't revised, then I barely have anything to write). I'm not sure how you can cope with it. What I do is write a plan beforehand, then I'm less likely to go off on an irrelevant tangent, although I stillsometimes go into too much detail. It also means the examiner can see where my answer was going if I don't have time to finish.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby AndrewCook95 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:59 pm

No, I don't but my mum researched it and I should be entitled to up to 50% more time!! I always stick to the topic but never have enough time to finish my answers properly
"You said that we'd be forever,How could you kill me and lie to my face? Now that we can't be together, there's just no hope for a final embrace"- Your Betrayal, BFMV
AndrewCook95
Forum Master

Postby Remus » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:04 pm

If you are entitled to it, you should be getting it. Maybe arrange a meeting with you and your mum with the school's SENCO and see why it's not been happening as it is unfair for you with your exams.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:43 am

I agree with Remus. You need extra time.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby AndrewCook95 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:45 am

Thanks guys, my progress manager only found out yesterday about my dyspraxia (apparently) so I'm being re-assessed in september
AndrewCook95
Forum Master

Postby AnandaThePanda » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:23 pm

Yes I have the same. I deal with it by doing the higher marks questions first (they're usually at the end of the booklet), then I quickly go through and answer anything that I know from the remaining questions, then lastly I go back and spend the rest of the time on the more tricky but low mark questions that I haven't yet done. :)
AnandaThePanda
Super Poster

Return to Study Support