Revision for GCSES

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Revision for GCSES

Postby olivia5 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi,
I'm in year 10 and i'm finding it really hard to revise for exams and to take the infomation in from what i'm learning.

Can anyone suggest any good ways for revising?

Would like to hear from anyone in the same year as me.

olivia5
Advanced Member

Re: Revision for GCSES

Postby wm1995 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm in the year above you but I've got all my GCSEs and AS Core 1 Maths this year, so I'm in the same boat. The way I plan on revising will be to spend the first day sorting out all of my notes and drawing up a timetable. To sort my notes, I'm going to try and divide them by subject, and then sub-divide them by topic. Then, I'll draw up a revision timetable with 40 minute blocks for each topic and 5 minutes for each break. Every 3 hours I'll take a long break, for lunch, probably about an hour. If I did six hours of revision a day, I'd be able to cover 8 topics. If you then return to the topic later, you'll remember it better, so I'll try to review it a couple of days later, and then in the final week I'll check my knowledge of entire subjects by going over the specification (available online for your GCSE board), revising those I don't know well. For languages, I'll split vocabulary into chunks and alternate between making notes on grammar and working on the vocabulary, categorised by topic. For English (and Latin to an extent), I'll go through each set text and make a list of some points I could make in an essay with quotes and analysis, so I didn't have to worry about doing it in the exam. For other subjects, I'd make notes on each topic, and then use them to review the topic later. Attached are some of my example notes for Electronics. They took about 12 hours to make taking out breaks, but they cover just about the entire syllabus. *This is how I learn, it might not work for you*. I also make recordings of translations and vocabulary that I need to know (for Latin and languages respectively), and listen to them while going out for walks on a break. That's another important point - try to go out, and give yourself longer breaks. Try to see friends *occasionally*, or see if you can revise with them. These are all things that seem to be working for me, I don't know how it will work for you. Good luck.

*OK, I can't attach my notes, they are too large. Sorry
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby olivia5 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi,
Thank you for this, it really helped. I found it extremely hard to revise for languages and used a dictaphone which helped a bit! , I will try this soon. Thanks for trying anyway but it's fine don't worry you gave me a lot of information here.

Thanks again.
olivia5
Advanced Member

Postby xFCJ1995 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm in Year 10 and I find that writing up revision notes of everything I need to know really helps, as by making them in the first place you're refreshing the information in your mind and then you can look through them any time you want, particularly right before the exam, you can just whip them out anywhere!

Much to the annoyance of my family, I'm also prone to sticking post-it notes with key facts or formulaes written on them round the house so whenever I walk past i'm reminded of the information.

I work well with colours, so I always colour code my notes with different colour paper and pens corresponding to different topics etc. This worked really well for my modular science exams as I had to remember formulaes etc. A little obsessive I know; but I also laminate all my notes, as it means they don't get crumpled up in the bottom of my school bag!

I also recommend attaching the notes together somehow (I hole-punched them and used treasury tags), as the last thing you want is to lose a page and not notice!

Hope this helps :)
xFCJ1995
Advanced Member

Postby olivia5 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Yes thank you very much! thanks for you help everyone this has given me ideas!
olivia5
Advanced Member

Postby lalacurf121 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:33 am

as the last thing you want is to lose a page and not notice!
เบอร์สวย
lalacurf121
Super Poster

Return to Study Support