Disclosing Disability on UCAS

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Disclosing Disability on UCAS

Postby justme6565 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:42 pm

As you might see by my profile, I am from the US, but I am highly considering applying to a few UK Universities for Undergraduate Education. (I really like the idea that in the UK you select one coarse rather than simply a major...)

My question is: are there any specific benefits to disclosing my dyspraxia on the UCAS? I have very very mild dyspraxia, and the only accommodations I will most likely need at Uni will be the use of a word processor on Exams. Do you think it may be worth just waiting (granted I get an offer) until I get to the University?

If I disclose, I'm a little worried about being labeled. Not necessarily intentionally, and not to the point that it might affect my getting an offer, but more of people feeling like they need to do things for me. Since my diagnosis is so mild, I am independent with the vast majority of my life, and I don't want people to, even accidentally, only see my disability when they ought to be seeing me.

Thank you!!!
“Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes.” ~Bette Midler
justme6565
Forum Master

Re: Disclosing Disability on UCAS

Postby Alice » Sun May 01, 2011 5:46 pm

If you need any kind of special arangement at uni (even just for exams), the uni has to pay for it using your DSA money. As a result, you should disclose your dyspraxia and aply for DSA. You will only be asigned the funds that you need so it's not wastefull or anything.

Disclosing your dyspraxia will not affect your aplication, I'm not sure the uni can even see it until they accept you.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby justme6565 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:53 pm

But if I'm from the States and not covered by UK public funding for the rest of Uni, do I still recieve DSA, or am I responsible for those fees myself?
“Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes.” ~Bette Midler
justme6565
Forum Master

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Mon May 16, 2011 10:42 am

Yes International Students can be eligiable for Disabled Students Allowance (dsa) it might be worth you getting in touch with the International Students Campain at National Union Of Students, from memory the officer currently is a girl called Christina... I can try hunt out soome more info for you if youd like, feel able to message me

Lae x
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby justme6565 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:53 am

Thank you so much! If I need anything else, I'll let you know!!!!
justme6565
Forum Master

Postby justme6565 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:11 pm

So I just looked at the Uni's website, and it said to be covered for DSA, you need to be a UK student. Which is fine. Honestly, I don't know if I would really need DSA. (I think I could pay for any accomedations.) Assuming I didn't need DSA, is there any other advantages/reasons to disclosing on the UCAS?
justme6565
Forum Master

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Sun May 22, 2011 2:51 pm

DSA isnt just abotu the equipment side of things, it can also provide notetakers, extentions for work, enable tutors to provide printed format handouts in other formats, enable tutors to be more aware. and the list goes on.
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby justme6565 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:46 pm

So how exactly do I go about applying for DSA as an Overseas student?
justme6565
Forum Master

Postby lalacurf121 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:27 am

Assuming I didn't need DSA, is there any other advantages/reasons to disclosing on the UCAS?
gclub royal
lalacurf121
Super Poster

Return to Study Support