GCSE English Lit help - Of Mice and men and poetry analysis

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

GCSE English Lit help - Of Mice and men and poetry analysis

Postby miikeyy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:44 pm

Hello :)

I have an 2 1/2 hour English exam coming up on the 10th June. And I am wondering if I can have any advice as I havn't sat such an important exam before (as it is worth 35% of my English literature grade).

I was wondering if any of you could help me by giving me your ideas on of mice and men and how to structure and essay on it as I don't think my Essay techniques are very structured.

I was also wondering if I can get advice on how to analyse compare poems in such a short time (1hr 15mins) and how to structure it and what are the most important things I should do when structuring the analysis and compare.

Thanks alot! (These are some details I am comfused on as we have not really covered everything)
miikeyy
Forum Master

Re: GCSE English Lit help - Of Mice and men and poetry analysis

Postby galexy96 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi, i'm in year 10 and i also have this exam on the 10th June. I have found that the BBC bitesize site helpful, they have some videos which explain stuff. I would also suggest going to revision classes if there is any. Here is the link for the site http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesi ... semicemen/

And good luck :mrgreen:
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby miikeyy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:05 pm

thanks a lot!

Your probably sitting exactly the same exam as me - is your exam board WJEC?
I may be the "weird" person in school, but thats good because I laugh at you because your the same.
miikeyy
Forum Master

Postby galexy96 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:12 pm

yeah i think it is. I have an exam on friday for the books Of Mice and Men and Animal farm. I have another one the next Wednesday about persuasive writing i think.
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby pinksehenna » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:32 am

hey ive done this, it was really easy, it depends what your question is. My question was of how the writer develops a charater throughout the story, therefore, i did it on Lennie. To make it easy I talked about him chapter by chapter picking out certain bits of his personality to say how he is in that chapter. I used a quote about his appearance, one of his speech, quotes of what others say to him, and then in another chapter I would compare what hes like in that chapter to the previous and say how he's developed.

I hope this was useful x :) 8) :wink: :| :P
pinksehenna

Postby Alice » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:27 pm

My essay style was always very rigid, breif, and evidence based. I'm not a humanities person at heart. However, I did do reasonably well in english (I think both were B). This is how I structure essays:

Essay Title

1)Introduction:
a)Rephrase question
b) How each point you will make relates to the question
c)

2)Paragraph 1: First point you're trying to make
a) Repeat how it relates to question
b) Evidence from text (quoted), explaination of this evidence.
c) How b, suports your point
d) Breifly, how it could be enturprated differently
e) suply further support that your enturpratation is more likely

3) Repeat paragraph 2 until done/running out of time.

4) Conclusion
a) Any opinion/conclusion you have drawn
b) Further enturpratations that could be drawn (see 2d)
c) Assert that you have answered the question as fully as is apropriate.

Generaly each letter in brackets equates to about a sentence. The repetition of the question and linking back is mostly to keep myself on track, and because the conclusion was only ever theoreticall since I never had time to tie the points together.

I did Of Mice and Men for my GCSE, I really disliked that book. Though the reason I disliked it was the reason my teacher picked it: it's not a challanging read, and it's fairly simple to organise into themes. I think GCSEs changed after I did them, so I'm not sure how much what I'd have to say would be relevent.

I'm afraid my attitude to the entire subject was rather scathing (I tend to find anything that requires allot of "reading into it" to be a little pretentious and pointless, that's just how my mind works), so I just got through the whole thing on my arguing skills rather than paying attention in lessons. As a result, I can't even tell you what any of the poems were about.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Study Support