Formal Logic

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Formal Logic

Postby towildhoney » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:08 am

Hey would like to no if ny other person with dyspraxia has ever been mad enough to attempt formal logic or any other philisophical logic my complete innability to do deduction has left me in absolute pieces as I attempt to do it copping strategies please! I'm finding it similar to problems I had with maths where I could see the answer but not how I got there I tend to have problems grasping detail seeing only the big picture Would appreciae any suggestions
Help!
towildhoney
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:54 pm

I am actually very logical in my thoughts, possibly because I incline towards Asperger's Syndrome. However, my logic is of a unique variety - it allows me to score highly on intelligence tests and solve complicated verbal puzzles, but I often take a different route to other people. For instance, to me maths is not a logical subject. It is a bundle of meaningless contradictions. Yet I am very good at spotting logical patterns and making connections in language, which means I am able to pick up foreign languages very easily.

Latin is probably the most logical subject I take. I gave the teacher a few grey hairs at GCSE because on some homework assignments I plummeted to a D and on others I received A stars - dyspraxia acts like a gatekeeper, sometimes deciding to shut down certain roads in my brain! So I became very proficient at using my intuition to work out the answers. For example, if the teacher asked me to translate a sentence I could do it perfectly, but if she said, "Point out the subjunctive mood," I was lost. I am no good at breaking things down into components without help.

I would caution you against trying to revamp your way of thinking. It might be a bit strange, but if you reach the right answer how is it wrong? There is a big risk of treating dyspraxia as a disorder and nothing else, when in reality it is just a different way of thinking.

Vicky
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

I dunno what to put here.. none really just a reply

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:56 pm

I like that. A different way of thinking. That's a good thing.

Shanna :D 8)

Go CUBS!!
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby medrich11 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:53 pm

I have that. I love Latin because it's just really predictable yet unpredictable. You see a word and almost instantly know what it is, but then it sometimes turns out to be something completely different!

My mind does connections like an orchestra. It starts of slowly and then builds up as different parts of my brain give their own parts, building up to perfect harmony - the answer
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby tujunga » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:47 pm

i have a weird way of doing maths

i used to confused my maths teacher and the whole class

one day the poor teacher got sooo confused she told me she would work it out at home and get back to me the next day

funny thing she never did get bac to me

the question was on getting the area of a set of stairs

i got the right answer but got it differently to everyone else and no-one could understand how i got including me!!
tujunga
Super Poster

Postby monkey » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:10 am

maths is somthing im both terrrible and at times good at (well kinda) i also confused my teachers. in intermediat for example we got pre tested for all our maths subgects and were placed in a class acording to how well we did class 7 was students who needed one to one help and class one was accelerant with etra work and stuff to chalenge. i manged to avoid all classes inbetween and hop between the two. mainly staying in group 7 but randomly finding my self in group one with no idea how i got there. i couldnt tell the difference between the work in the two classes, and never understood what i was doing differently to get into ither class. then again it was my maths mark acording to my teacherss which found me in an average class in high school arcording to my teachers. it draged up my average freeing me from teh stigma of being in the botom class or from being special needs. my marks were never very good during high school but for instains on one occation how to do the maths left my mind compleatly it got lost some where, but when i looked at the problem i could see the answer and how to do it, so i did, but my teacher answered me wrong, becuase as hard as she tryed she couldnt undersant how i had worked it out, and i couldnt comunicate how i had done it to her becuase i forgot nearly instantly after doing it. i looked at it for ages after trying to find how i did it so i could take it back and show her, but she had already made it clear that if it wasnt how the text books said to do it then it was wrong even if you got the write answer (creativity isnt rewarded in school, if you come up with a new way of doing something you get a big cross) then in my 6th form (second to last year at school) for half the year i was getting below 20% marks. and for sixth form cert you have to get a hight enough mark compared to everyone else all yaer around to pass. to get your end of year mark the kind of average out all your marks depending on the worth of the assesment. and with under 20% for all my assesments in the first half of the year i looked set to fail. only i found a tutor to help me with the sencond half of the year he had Dyspraxia and with him teaching me i started getting an average of 90% somethimes more sometiems less, i made up for the marks and managed to just pass. in seventh form (the last year 17 years old turning 18) i got asked not to sit my statistics exam, my teacher felt that i was lazy, i was failing badly and because of teh amount of langae in statistics no amount of tutroing could hlep me understand what the questions asked. i failed well and truly. so im nither good nor bad at maths, i just cant ususaly understnad it. in fact sometimes i cant even do simple adding and subtracting. confusing for the teachers... pa! they have no idea!
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Su Duko

Postby bibliophile » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:31 pm

I love maths though i'm bad at it the logic behind it and when it all works out behin the checks and everything makes me feel really special! i know i'm wierd If you have trouble working with logic go try the Su Duko in the times (i don't know which country you live in so it's the U.K times) on there website start with the easy ones and work up to get them rigt you have to get the numbers in the right way and you have to work it out. It's very logical and works surprisingly well to improve logic.

Alex :lol:
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Su Duko

Postby bibliophile » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:31 pm

I love maths though i'm bad at it the logic behind it and when it all works out behin the checks and everything makes me feel really special! i know i'm wierd If you have trouble working with logic go try the Su Duko in the times (i don't know which country you live in so it's the U.K times) on there website start with the easy ones and work up to get them rigt you have to get the numbers in the right way and you have to work it out. It's very logical and works surprisingly well to improve logic.

Alex :lol:
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Postby parnassus » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:51 pm

I am quite good at Su Do Ku, presumably because it is more a test of logic than a test of arithmetical skill. I do have to wear my green Irlen spectacles or else print the puzzles on green paper, otherwise the numbers turn somersaults in front of my eyes.

as hard as she tryed she couldnt undersant how i had worked it out, and i couldnt comunicate how i had done it to her becuase i forgot nearly instantly after doing it.

This is why I could never be a teacher. Even in the subjects where I typically excel, such as English, I find it very difficult to explain how I construct my essays - I don't follow essay plans, I don't do rough drafts. (This used to get me into trouble in primary school, but in secondary school my teachers don't mind providing the end product is satisfactory - this is the advantage of studying arts subjects.) When people ask me to help them with their homework, I really struggle to show them what to do - I can arrive at the answers in a second, but I can't articulate how I arrived at those conclusions.

In maths lessons, the situation was reversed. No one could make me understand the 'logic' we were supposed to be following.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:50 am

parnassus wrote:This is why I could never be a teacher. Even in the subjects where I typically excel, such as English, I find it very difficult to explain how I construct my essays - I don't follow essay plans, I don't do rough drafts. (This used to get me into trouble in primary school, but in secondary school my teachers don't mind providing the end product is satisfactory - this is the advantage of studying arts subjects.) When people ask me to help them with their homework, I really struggle to show them what to do - I can arrive at the answers in a second, but I can't articulate how I arrived at those conclusions.

I don't have problems explaining schoolwork-related things, but I couldn't, for example, explain to a child how to tie his/her laces. As a matter of fact, I would probably have difficulty explaining how to do a science practical. I can't really explain how to *do* things. However, I can explain how to work them out.
I don't understand the "logic" of Maths, either. I did quite well by memorising how to answer certain types of questions, without understanding why they worked, so that was ok. I completely fell apart having to apply Maths in Chemistry. I was alright in Physics, I just memorised the equations and plugged in the numbers, but with Chemistry you seemed to need an understanding of the concepts. I could cope with concepts that were just chemistry, but not where there was a mix of chem and maths. However, I'm not sure that this was a dyspraxia thing because non-dyspraxic people in my class had the same difficulties.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Return to Study Support