Photographic memories

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Is your memory photographic?

Yes
27%
No
27%
I'm unsure
45%

Total votes : 33

Photographic memories

Postby parnassus » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:45 am

Do you have a photographic memory?

A photographic memory isn't necessarily about reading something and remembering it word-for-word for the rest of your life, btu that is part of it - you may be able to recite whole paragraphs from books after just reading them once. You will be able to repeat conversations you had with other people word-for-word.

Although I'm no Christopher Boone (see The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time) the educational psychologist described my verbal memory as photographic after I had gone through the verbal component of the Weschler tests.

Quite a long time ago now, some abusive ex-schoolmates of Matt's posted scathing messages on his forums, accusing him of being a cheat and skipping pages when his class was asked to read a book. Helen responded quickly, calling the accusations 'tired' and informing the bullies that Matt's photographic memory means that he can learn his lines for drama by reading through them once.

Does anyone else have this type of memory? As it is very rare, I think it must be more than coincidence that at least two people on this forum have it. Do you think there may be a link between dyspraxia and possession of a photographic memory?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby towildhoney » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:24 pm

Hi I don't feel so much I have a photographic memory i don't see text and remember it I can do this with words though my verbal recall is is very good I did realy well on the verbal recall part of the welscher intelligence test. I also find that with hearing something I tend to take in meaning to where as with text even if I see it and remeber it pefectly i may not have taken in the meaning behind it where as with hearing something I will. The Welscher test I did as I recall was repeating numbers recitied to me first backwards then forwards. this didn't pick up on comprehenion does any one else find a prefference towards the written or spoken word?
towildhoney
Forum Master

I think I may have one but I dunno.

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:54 pm

I can recall numbers, names, pictures, and dates pretty well. For example, I can remember singer Amy Grant's birthdate is November 25th because I read it in the news on Thanksgiving (which was that day) this year. I also remember Zac Hanson (another singer's) birthday is on October 22, 1985. Most people do not remember random people's birthday's I don't think. I also know people's pictures pretty well. I can see one person one time and remember hearing their name and remember who they are usually. I remember vivid picture memories from my childhood better than others in my family. I also remember phone numbers well or random numbers. But, it is still hard to tell if I have a photographic memory. I can remember people from movies better than anyone I know and movie lines too. Gosh, I am so random with words. Oh, well.

Shanna

Go CUBS!!
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby medrich11 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:30 pm

I am pretty sure that I have a photographic memory, for instance, I can see a book I rerad weeks ago in my head, turn it round and inspect from ay angle and then flick through the pages and read them! They are a bit blurry but I can see certain paragraphs with precision.
medrich11
Mega Poster

Wow it seems a lot of us seem to have photographic memories!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:44 am

seems like a lot of us do have or seem to have photographic memories!! That's very interesting. I'm in psychology right now. Maybe I can ask my teacher if dyspraxia has to do with photographic memories.

Shanna 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:47 am

Is there a test you can do so you can see what sort of memory you have?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:37 pm

Erm was Zac the drummer??? Sorry probably showing my age by remembering Hanson and mmmbop

although back to the question on the poll

i find it easier to remember things if i can visualise them

x
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby C » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:13 pm

I find it easy to remember certain dates and events.

My verbal memory is really good as well, when I have conversations with people I can sometimes remember the whole conversation in my head for days, weeks, months and even years after it happened. This especially applies if the conversation was particulary happy or sad or otherwise emotional, I suppose emotional things are easier to remember.

Even though my memory is good, I wouldn't say it is photographic
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:30 pm

I can remember text from books really easily- always a help in English Literature.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby madame_tigre » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:11 am

I've got a brilliant memory but I doubt it's photographic.

I can easily recall events and conversations that happened over 10 years ago, whilst my peers need to give it a bit more thought. I can also state the location, which year and season (and often month) an event happened in. I can rarely remember the date, and I think Christopher Boone is amazing in being able to do so. I can often remember what year things were released in.

If you ever want to know some useless facts or statistics, you can ask me as I don't normally forget them.

Once I meet people, I hardly ever seem to forget them, no matter how big or little the involvement was. I struggle with remembering faces if I haven't seen someone in over 10 years but I never forget names.

I like it when people give me memory tests (apart from short-term ones!) My parents thought it would be a bit of a challenge if I could name every teacher I've ever had and every holiday I've been on, but I found it easy.

With books, I remember what they're about most of the time, but I can't recite whole paragraphs word-to-word after just looking at them once, and with drama I have to learn my lines like everyone else.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Cartouche » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:59 pm

As I said in my introduction, I have a photographic memory. My geography teacher allowed me not to take any notes during lessons, as I remembered all he told us anyways, and writing notes would have taken me too long anyhow. I can remember things that, by all common sense, I really shouldn't, such as much of my old house (which we moved out of a few weeks before my first birthday) and I often confuse my family by referring to things that everyone else has long forgotten. I have an especially strong memory for places, and I can often remember in great detail places we visited many years ago, although this extends to many fields. I annoy people whilst watching 'The Simpsons' as I once had a guide to the episodes, and I remember a large amount of the facts from it^^

My short-term memory, alas, is nowhere near the same standard.
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby fuzzy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:20 pm

Thats so weird I am totally the same cartouche (I keep on accidentally putting in Carwash lol) my short term memory is rubbish but I can remember loads of dates as I just sort of visualise them from my uni notes, which is fab for history! I also find repition and saying things out loud is helpfull, meaning that I cant study with others as I drive them insane!!! I also tend to remember really random things from years ago that no one else will remember but then I dont nessarally remember important stuff from my childhood.... tis odd!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Cartouche » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:22 pm

fuzzy wrote:Thats so weird I am totally the same cartouche (I keep on accidentally putting in Carwash lol) my short term memory is rubbish but I can remember loads of dates as I just sort of visualise them from my uni notes, which is fab for history! I also find repition and saying things out loud is helpfull, meaning that I cant study with others as I drive them insane!!! I also tend to remember really random things from years ago that no one else will remember but then I dont nessarally remember important stuff from my childhood.... tis odd!

Carwash!? Heehee...just for reference's sake, a cartouche is the decorative bit around the key on maps (usually old maps). It is also the name of a nice medieval restaurant in Prague, which Blackmore's Night wrote a song about, from which I get the name.

I did the same thing with my history^^ The only problem with remembering so much is trying to put it into some sort of order. Sometimes I spent more time planning my essays than actually writing them, as I tend to have little difficulty writing a lot (as you have no doubt established). The 'reading out loud' method has never seemed to help me much, for some reason, and I honestly can't say what exactly helps me to remember what I hear.

As for the random stuff...well, it's made me a mine of useless information, but also meant I found General Studies exams like a walk in the park, on a warm Summer's day. With ice cream.
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby fuzzy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:29 pm

Genaral Studies? Whats that? Yeah when I revised for my last two loads of exams, I never actually wrote essays, just big plans with all the key info. Plans are the way to go as you can establish whats relavant and what is gunk! :D

Thats kul- I actaully thot your name was some sort of arty thing- as I said before, I thought you were into animation and 3d computery stuff- it must be the pic ypuv got at the side with you name etc!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Cartouche » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:44 pm

General Studies is an anomaly of the British (excepting Scotland) A-Level system. It's an exam that involves a wide variety of skills, or at least it is supposed to, as essay writing and logical deduction are critical for all the papers. It's not possible to study for, due to the sheer diversity of the subject material, and my exams included such themes as the causes of religious fundamentalism, the importance of mathematics in a technological society, the impact of physical geography on history and methods of solving the traffic problem in the UK.

I have difficulty locating the 'gunk' as, with the right arguement, almost anything can be made relevant (politicians do this all the time, I believe). I'm generally better at creating structure than I used to be, however, although I still get times when I see all the different information and despair over what links to use, and which to ignore.

I'm not really into 3D animation at all, to be honest. The avatar I am using is from Japanese animation, or 'anime' as it more commonly known. I daresay a very quick internet search will yield you a veritable mountain of information, as it has a surprisingly large fanbase. I'm not going to launch into an essay on the nature of anime, however I will mention that is not as single-genred as Western animation tends to be. The diversity of genre is truly astounding.
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Next

Return to Study Support