Photographic memories

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Is your memory photographic?

Yes
27%
No
27%
I'm unsure
45%

Total votes : 33

Postby Creative » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:32 pm

No, i haven't got one. What happens to me is that practically every morning I have conversatios from the past going round in my head. This happens at other times of the day too. I can be in a shop, for example and suddenly I will remember a phrase someone said to me in the past. It is almost as though I am back there again. Does anyone else have this? I would be interested to know. It could just be strss related as it is worse when I am stressed, but sometimes it seems to happen for no apparent reason. I find this very annoying particularly in the morning.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:54 pm

Yes, I have this, but I can usually recall conversations at will. Perhaps the memory was triggered by something that was present when you had the conversation - a smell, or a glimpse of a certain colour?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby GirlInTheGraniteCity » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:00 pm

If I see someone's school timetable, I can remember it pretty quickly. I also remember things from tv very well, in what characters say and how they say it. Kind of like that.

{{{[[[~~~~~~~~~~<<<<<<<OOOO♥OOOO>>>>>>>~~~~~~~~~~]]]}}}

Heyy I'm Caroline, add me on MSN if you like =D Peace out xxxxxx

{{{[[[~~~~~~~~~~<<<<<<<OOOO♥OOOO>>>>>>>~~~~~~~~~~]]]}}}
GirlInTheGraniteCity
Forum Master

Postby david456 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:29 pm

Not with books do I have a photographic memeory, but buildings and car number plates. I probably couldn't tell you how to get to somewhere having been there once, but I could tell you what it looked like and what it is like inside.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby eDan » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:13 am

I've still to quite fathom quite what my brain remembers and what it doesn't. I do tend to recall some images and music lyrics from donkeys years ago, and I think I do have more or a pictoral memory than one for names or numbers. In any case I've taken up photography to remember what my brain misses out!
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby pinkparrot » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:57 pm

I still can't figure out my memory. I'll think on it.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby parnassus » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:10 pm

I don't think your memory is photographic, pp, as you have said you have difficulty remembering things that happened long ago as well as events in the recent past. A photographic memory is pretty noticeable, and it's more than being above average.

I don't want to frighten you unduly, but have you ever had an MRI scan taken of your brain? It is quite unusual for a dyspraxic person to have long-term memory difficulties, and any significant problem in that area may have some other cause. I think you should get it checked out - or do you forget things (i.e. the contents of films and books) because you have trouble paying attention when you're in the midst of them?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:39 pm

I know I definitely don't have a photographic memory. I don't remember anywhere near enough of anything for that!

My memory of the recent past, I think has significantly improved as I'm doing sensory integration therapy.

I seem to be learning to read again. When I was younger I could read really well, but now I have noticed that I can have my eyes moving along the paragraphs but I wouldn't be assimilating the information. I come back to my senses and realise I haven't taken the information in, and reread it. I'm trying to slow down my reading, in order to take the information in, but as I do my mind wanders, a song/thought/random sentence floats into my head, so it makes it hard to think through that. This doesn't happen all the time and I have noticed this since I started sensory integration therapy.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Danni » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:34 pm

My long term memory is quite good, except when I'm asked about something upsetting. I seem to be actively blocking them out.

I don't think my memory is photographic, because I can't see things, but if I read things once I can normally remember most of it the next day. It not the pages that I remember though, it's the actual words. I'll remember the stuff, just not where I got it from!
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to Study Support