Trouble with learning my German

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Trouble with learning my German

Postby CharlotteVanity11 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:31 pm

I have this German speaking exam next week and I am struggling so bad to learning it I have no idea what I am going to do as this is very important I just can't remember any of it ! does any one have any ideas?
CharlotteVanity11

Re: Trouble with learning my German

Postby Remus » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Try using little flashcards and getting someone to test you against them. Putting up little sticky notes around the house may also be help say if you need to say something about the kitchen or something like that, you could put a note up in the kitchen so everytime you going into that area, you are reminded of it.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:54 pm

i'm not very good at learning languages, but I've heard that it can help to watch films in the language ou are trying to learn and to read books in that language.

I'm not sure if a week's long enough for that though. The idea is to submerge yourself in the language. It might not help for an exam either.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Liz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:42 pm

I'd also watch movies (with subtitles, probably). To me, this is the easiest and certainly the most enjoyable way to learn a language and to get used to idiomatic structures. At least this is how I usually try to get used to a language, but it is probably different for everybody since there are various methods of studying (writing everything down, recording the stuff you have to remember...)
(By the way: learning German as a foreign language sounds fascinating to me since I'm a native speaker of German. :wink: )
Liz
Advanced Member

Postby _robyn_ » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:42 am

I struggle with languages, but I believe what helps me the most is watching a film in that language just before I go to bed. and i like to sleep with some sound on so I then just replay it and will fall asleep with the film playing.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby Steph » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:58 pm

I am blessed with a good memory for languages and got an A in French GCSE after only 18 months of proper teaching (long story!) I agree that watching foreign language films can help and also, if you know any native speakers of German, try and speak to them in German without using English at all and see if they can help you in any way. We had a French Language assistant at school during my GCSE years and everybody benefited from speaking to him in just French as that builds confidence and lack of confidence is the one thing that leads to problems in the oral part of the exam as you tend to get marked on fluency of speech so stammering and long pauses lead to you losing marks, as harsh as this is.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Liz » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Talking to native speakers can be extremely beneficial, I agree on that. I actually find it more helpful than studying with a textbook in class because having a conversation with a native speaker and picking up expressions and idiomatic phrases "en passant" is at least to me a more comforting way of learning.
Plus, when there's a notable discrepancy between spoken and written language, such as in French practising oral skills is essential I'd say. Otherwise there's this weird gap between spoken and written language (as I'm currenly experiencing it with French :roll: ).
But also in German it could be helpful because spoken German differs to some degree from written German. So, CharlotteVanity11, if you're reading this .. you can write me anytime, if you want. ;)
Liz
Advanced Member

Postby CharlotteVanity11 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Thankyou, I kinda got out of my oral, I am doing it at a later date my teacher says it is fine. I don't struggle with all languages. Just German, I am ok with languages usually. I am qualified in bsl I have been since 11 when I took my exams in London. :)
CharlotteVanity11

Return to Study Support