Organization

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Organization

Postby jksparks2 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:13 am

I need help getting organized!!

:( :x

Shanna
[playing a game where Michael is the prisoner.] J.M. Barrie: And what precisely is Michael's crime?
George Llewelyn Davies: He's my younger brother
jksparks2

Postby parnassus » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:58 pm

I have written a book that has some organisational hints in it. Unfortunately I can't post that full chapter here as it would be breaching my contract with my publishers, so I can only give very general advice:

1.) Use voice pens, miniature tape-recorders, or Dictaphones to remind you of tasks that need to be done. I have a voice pen that clips to my belt and it can store up to six hours of reminders!

2.) Make a large, colourful timetable (and I mean large). Pin it to your wall. Stick Post-It notes on different parts of the timetable to remind you what you need to do and when you have to do it.

3.) Have four trays for schoowork - one labelled 'To Be Done Now', one labelled, 'To Be Done this Week', one labelled 'To be Done this Month', and the other labelled 'Completed. Hand in Tomorrow'.

4.) Use box files instead of ring binders and button-flap wallets instead of plastic sleeves. These are much easier to open if you have co-ordination problems, meaning that you will have more time to organize your paperwork at the end of a lesson.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

do you know where i can get your book in America?

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:52 am

Hey Vicki, (sorry if I spelled your name wrong)
Do you know where I may be able to get your book in America?
I would really like to read it. I think it would help me a lot. :)

Shanna :D
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:26 pm

www.amazon.com

It is only out in America on April 30, but it can be pre-ordered now. It can be bought directly from the publishers' website, www.jkp.com. They will send it to the USA for you.

Or there is this company on Amazon.co.uk, which has somehow managed to obtain an advance shipment:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/ ... 40-4865236
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:27 pm

Cool. Thanks!!

Shanna 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:02 pm

parnassus wrote:1.) Use voice pens, miniature tape-recorders, or Dictaphones to remind you of tasks that need to be done. I have a voice pen that clips to my belt and it can store up to six hours of reminders!

Where do they sell these, and how much do they cost?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:14 pm

You can find them in all sorts of places - OfficeWorld and Comet both have good selections.

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/188.html

Mine was very expensive, because it stores so much information and is very chic-looking. (Luckily my dad's company presented it to me as a gift!) The cheapest good-quality kind are priced at about fifteen pounds, which isn't at all bad. It depends what you want to record. That type of dictaphone will hold a number of short reminders. If you want to tape whole lectures, get a sturdy portable cassette player.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:59 am

parnassus wrote:If you want to tape whole lectures, get a sturdy portable cassette player.

No, short remindes would be fine for me. It would look a lot less silly than writing to-do-lists on my hand (not even I can forget my hand, although they somethimes get smudged and then I can't remember what they were).
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:35 am

parnassus wrote:You can find them in all sorts of places - OfficeWorld and Comet both have good selections.

The ones you showed on the link were good, so I went to my local comet to by one, but they only had digital ones, not tape ones. These were too expensive for me and were so small I would almost definitely lose them.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Return to Study Support