How about science? Anyone into science here?

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

How about science? Anyone into science here?

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:50 am

Just wondering if anyone was into science here and how hard is it for you?
I know Chemistry is hard for me but biology is easier.

Shanna 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:28 pm

I was too clumsy for comfort in the chemistry lab, and I didn't like physics because of all the maths. Biology was fairly easy for me, though, except for the seating arrangements - the lessons were held in a laboratory. With bar stools. :shock:
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby medrich11 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:37 pm

I hate using the more dangerous chemicals or heat in chemistry, and I am far too squeamish for biology. I quite like physics though because everything fits.
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:26 pm

That's cool.
Shanna 8)
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby bibliophile » Tue May 17, 2005 6:04 pm

I like all the sciences though i'm not good at them, we have bar stools as well so half the time i'm concentrating on not falling of! I like physics the most because it answers my questions on how thing work :lol:
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Postby life's_odd_but_who_cares? » Tue May 17, 2005 7:04 pm

i LOVE bioligy and i am ok at chem i absolutly HATE phisics thou.

what are bar stools? :?
most people say i have no heart.... what they dont know is that i actually have the heart of an innocent young girl... in a jar on my desk. (Stephen King)
life's_odd_but_who_cares?

Postby parnassus » Tue May 17, 2005 7:20 pm

Those horrible tall stools with no backs or arms. The legs are connected with iron bars.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Phil » Tue May 17, 2005 7:56 pm

We also had them in Science in some of our labs at school

I hated practical work (all the classes I were in some of the students use to mess about with the bunsen burners)

I was also scared off knocking over the chemicals - I knocked over one but it was not really my fault :(
Phil
Forum Master

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue May 17, 2005 9:56 pm

YEah, Chem is hard...
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby madame_tigre » Thu May 19, 2005 7:44 am

I've always found all three sciences really demanding. I managed to get a DD in my GCSE's which I was really chuffed about as I was so convinced I'd get an F or G or even a U. I'm the self-proclaimed Worlds Worst Scientist!

I haven't studied any of them, but I find social sciences such as Psychology and Sociology really interesting. Philosophy is also a fascinating subject in my opinion, but I'm not sure whether that is classed under a type of Science.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby C » Sat May 21, 2005 2:13 pm

i have to say I was not keen on science at school! i hated chemistry and physics but biology was okay. I find things like genetics interesting. I'm doing an assignment at the moment about cystic fibrosis (and chicken pox for my health unit in my child care course) and find the inheritance of the recessive gene etc. fasinating. I also find social sciences like Psychology and Sociology really interesting
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby hwyaden » Sat May 21, 2005 3:57 pm

I absolutely despise chemistry, probably from the fact I had a teacher last year who didn't explain anything. Well, I thought he didn't but everyone else in the class he was the 'best teacher we've ever had'. Yeah right, he was a bully. when i gave any work in he picked on the slightest little mistakes, dragged me up to the front and told me to repeat the question on the white board. even revising chemistry for gcse makes me feel a bit sick.
Biology's great, and I like physics because we have a zany teacher who really seems to care about the subject!
From Shakespeare's 'Merry Wives of Windsor'
Falstaff: Heavens defend me from that Welsh fairy, lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!
hwyaden

Postby Phil » Sat May 21, 2005 4:03 pm

We had a teacher like that when I was doing my GCSE who did not explain things well - some of the students behaved were awful so we probably did not learn much each lesson.

Still I did okay in my GCSE Science and achieved better then the teachers thought I was predicted

I had a teacher who did that to me once in junior school , but had one in secondary school who use to pick up the smallest mistakes - the junior school was when once sentence did not make sense and she had the cheek to read it to the class - to see what it should have said.
Last edited by Phil on Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
Forum Master

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon May 23, 2005 3:03 pm

It is too bad that teachers bully sometimes. :( They are supposed to be like police officers or firefighters, kind, caring, and willing to help. I wish more teachers were like that. I have been lucky to have some nice ones in my life, but I know there are mean ones. I wish more were like my mom, who is a great teacher of kindergarten. 8) :D :)
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:44 pm

Psychology passes itself off as a science, but I actually think it's on the cusp between the sciences and the humanities. I enjoy studying psycholinguistics - language is one of my passions - along with most areas of cognitive psycholoy. The human intellect is a fascinating thing. But there are large chapters in my doorstep of a psychology textbook that really ought to be headed 'Stating the Blindingly Obvious'. Especially where social psychology is concerned. I quote:

He hypothesised that conversations gradually become more personal, drawing on sensitive or even taboo topics, as a relationship deepens. This is known as social penetration theory.

In other words, as you get to know someone better you start to share secrets and other, less phatic information!
parnassus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Study Support