Dystopic story

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Dystopic story

Postby _robyn_ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:22 pm

In english I have to write a openeing chapter (or just page) to a dystopic story.

So it has to be on the lines of George Orwells 1984.

I'm literally just have no ideas and I was hoping maybe if anyone had any ideas at all, like maybe even just a simple subject. It has basically just got to be a miserable place where things seem normal but slowly start to become different.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Re: Dystopic story

Postby Alice » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:18 pm

Backdrop:Try taking one thing they are or were comparitively recently complaining about in the news and extrapolate it to the extreme.

After you have a list see if there are any you want to combine.

Character: Imagine an interesting person who is likely to arise from this situation. They can be unusual (but still realistic) for their setting, or start out "normal" with the assumption that if you were to write the rest of the peice that they would develop as a character. You don't have to name them, but I find it often helps me think of them as a person with a life behind them. It might help to sum up their life so far

Fianly: Think of an event that would set a potential story in motion, given the circumstances and mindset of the main character. If you're not writing a whole story, you don't have to explore the knock on effects fully, but the first chapter should probably at least deal with it becoming apparent that something is changing.

After that it's really up to your writing style.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Dystopic story

Postby _robyn_ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks! That has helped alot, especially about reading news and exagerrating.
My idea is that it is in the future (like most dystopias) and the earth has run out of oil and coal e.c.t so trying to power the still growing populations is near impossible.

It is only a opening page so my teacher said it doesn't really need a plot but just needs to try set the seen for if I would write a book.

Thanks alot, I have got quite a few ideas now :D
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Return to Study Support