What are your best studying strategies?

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

What are your best studying strategies?

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:32 am

I posted this on Matt's Hideout too, but I just wanted to do it on both sites. I am having test study troubles, it seems since I just got a D on my Bio test. It made me very upset. :cry: I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions as far as study strategies. I use notecards and flashcards already. 8) Thanks!!

#1 Nomar Garciaparra and Mark Prior Fan!! Go Cubs!!
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby tujunga » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:59 pm

i find writing things out helps
but your hand gets really sore but im sure typing will work 2

also asking urself questions anddoing questions at the back of each chapter if they are there

if u find a subject really hard sometimes getting extra help sometimes helps

and dont be upset if u didnt do great it happens to everyone just keep at it and remember you can only do your best not anyone else's
tujunga
Super Poster

Postby Lilith » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:26 pm

Erm....Have you tried mindmapping? (where you draw spider diagrams to link up ideas). I also find that explaining concepts that you have to learn to someone else can help. By putting them in your own words it means you can check that you really understand them.

Some people find constructing stories around things can help, particularly with chemical reactions (obviously you might have to adapt this slightly for certain aspects of biology). I used to imagine the chemicals involved as little men with big boots on stomping around trying to pick fights with other chemicals.

Also as tujuna says, try not to get downhearted. I know how much it sucks to do badly but different people do better at different types of exercise. For example a friend of mine is brilliant at essays but finds shorter pieces more difficult. Whereas my essays are pretty mediocre (averaging high 2:2 and low 2:1) but I've just got a first for a shorter piece.
If you have a choice of which modules to study then try and play to your strengths. Pick things which are assessed in a way that suits you.
Lilith

Postby Ann Ony-Mous » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:47 pm

Mind maps are good. Add pictures and colours if you have a visual memory. I like them because I cna look at the text book and jott down anthing I can think of in its own little bubble comming out of the central topic. I can then add more fact bubbles to the centre topic and add sub-facts to the facts if they relate to one another. Its an easy way to get your topic down into manageable chunks. I'm revising at the moment too.
When the going gets tough...the tough get going.
Ann Ony-Mous
Advanced Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:43 pm

Thanks for the advice guys!! 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:55 pm

People with non-verbal learning disorders are unlikely to be visuo-spatial thinkers. I find that the best way to revise is to choose a wide selection of books and read around the topic.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby alexlaird87 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:31 pm

the way that works for me is to spend a few days going though each book, and condensing the intire silabus in to as few A4 sides as possable.

i got my intire 2 yearr physics silabus on to 10 pages. this way reviseing is quicker because idon't have to trawl through the book every time i need to find somthing.
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Return to Study Support