Concentration

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Concentration

Postby Lilith » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:36 pm

When I'm working I often find that I fidget a great deal and I find it very difficult to focus on the work I'm meant to be doing. My mind will disappear off on a tangent. It's a particular problem during the day when I'm more awake and consequently I often have to wait until quite late at night to start my work. This is a problem when I have 9oclock lectures and the University is halfway across the city.

Though this is partially due to lack of motivation I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for ways I can improve my concentration.
Lilith

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:21 am

Sorry. I can't really help, because I procrastinate a lot, but I try to make goals for myself to get something done. They are daily goals. Like today, I have not started my work yet (probably should), but I have a goal of listening to my music and reading LOTR (Lord of the Rings) tonite. Hope I can get to it. I am trying to make this work. :lol: I would like more suggestions though too.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:39 pm

A reward system like Shanna suggested is a good incentive. But if you have chronic concentration difficulties, you'll probably even forget about the reward!

Environment matters a lot to me. Have you tried customising your study area so that it best suits your needs? My concentration span shot up dramatically when I was given a chair with arms to sit in during lessons, because I no longer had to worry about keeping my balance on the seat and could devote my full attention to the work.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby dansmum » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:25 pm

my older son (15) has dyspraxia and also adhd , he keeps a ball of blu tack with him and when he feels his concentration starting to wander he takes it out and has a fiddle with it .
sounds daft but it helps him get back on task if he forgets to pick up his blu tak or hes in a lesson with a stroppy teacher he will stop and count somthing ie windows / kids in the classroom etc .
dansmum

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:29 am

dansmum wrote:my older son (15) has dyspraxia and also adhd , he keeps a ball of blu tack with him and when he feels his concentration starting to wander he takes it out and has a fiddle with it .

I do the same thing with plastacine.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

elastic bands

Postby Joss1991 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:13 pm

every tried puting a alastic band around your wrist to fiddle with and if your friend sees you driffting of you could get them to pull the alastic band gently to get you to concentrate. It worked for me and one of my friends whos dyslexsic even though im not dyslexsic it may work for anyone who drifts off.
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Return to Study Support