I started university March 19,2012

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

I started university March 19,2012

Postby carebear15 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:13 pm

I am on Day 2
I am having difficult time with my classes.
So i am going to need tutoring.
I go through Liberty university in lynchburg,virginia

I have bible 104
Education 200

My major is early childhood education teacher.

I am going to be taking special education classes also so that will help me to work with children with special needs.

I am excited.

Bible 104 Day OnePosted on: Monday, March 19, 2012

1. Hello Class…First thing …"please be sure you have read the welcome announcement that I posted last week prior to the beginning of class:<)…" Most of the questions I receive early on are covered in that data and the information below... Also, be sure you complete the "Course Requirements Checklist" via the Course Content Area/Module 1/Learning Activities area... This is extremely important!

2. Well today is March 19. I trust you are ready to jump into your readings for the course. This week's reading schedule is pretty intensive so go ahead and start so that you might get off on the right foot. Again...Also again be sure you read my first memo to the class…(I suggest you set your course announcement 'view' to "View All"…just to keep a running history of this data… (Some of you may have not yet received your texts…no worries I will work with you. Just keep me informed…)

3.We have quite a bit to cover in Fee and Stuart…which can be some pretty analytical reading…so set aside ample time for those portions. But basically…this week at a glance looks as follows…Per the Course Chart… In sum this week we will look at, per Harbin, some basic background items about the development of scripture. And touch upon the different ways various groups view the Bible, i.e. the Traditional View v. the Modern View and what has influenced those position…That is, what has shaped the development of these views…history, archaeology, philosophy, etc.

Next…in Fee and Stuart we will begin to deal with the need to understand the type of literature (genres) we are reading in scripture to better understand its truth. That is, we will begin to study how to approach the different types of literary genre found in the Bible…

4.What is genre? VERY IMPORTANT:<)
This is the most popular question of the class. Genre...is a type or classification of literature. A Biblical genre is simply a way of identifying Biblical literature according to basic types of literary genre. Just like music has genres…country, jazz, gospel, blues, classical and so on….so does literature. These genres can be identified by looking at say the writing style, i.e. the form, structure, content, design, and other factors…again similar to music.
The differences are generally pretty clear and distinct. Think how we have all basically been trained in some way to know the difference between classical music and say "rap". Pretty clear. How? Again identifiable structure, content, even design... But to someone that is not trained is it so easy to tell the difference say between Chicago Blues and up tempo jazz? Likely not…But can the difference be known based upon agreed criteria? Yes…and the same goes for literary genres.
Understanding how to approach each genre is an important part of Hermeneutics, which is simply a fancy word for the art and science (or as some would say the theory and practice) of interpretation. Some of the most basic types of literary genres are found in scripture and are pretty easy to identify… Through the chapters in Fee and Stuart we will deal with the various genres in detail… Our first action beyond this week's introductory reading in Fee and Stuart will be learning how to approach Old Testament narratives…But to lay some ground work for Week 2 let us ask "What are Narratives?" Consider basic ' narrative'…these are in sum rather straight forward stories of events. All narratives have some basic components…characters…plot… and the resolution of that plot. There is more to it than that, but at its core that is it…
Per our reading we will see… 40% of the literary genre in the Old Testament is narrative. It is likely the most misinterpreted and misapplied segment of scripture.
In narrative, as in other biblical genres it is important to understand the original audience and its purpose (the narratives purpose) to them. That is…What was God conveying to them in their own time?
Note: God is the hero of all biblical narratives. Think about it.

*Genesis, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, I and II Samuel, I and II Kings, I and II Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Daniel, Jonah, and Haggai are almost entirely narrative material. Other books such as Exodus, Numbers, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Isaiah, and Job as have large portions of narrative.

NOTE: Per the chapters in Fee and Stuart we will move on to look at the genres of Law, Wisdom, Psalm, Poetry, and Prophecy before moving on to the New Testament.

*Read the Introduction Chapter in Fee and Stuart "The Need to Interpret" (pp. 17-31) very carefully as it really sets the tone for our review of that text.

Prep for the Discussion Boards(DB) in WEEK 2: As you read the Fee chapter on Narratives (P. 89-106) go ahead and craft your thoughts that can be used for first discussion board next week. Just a little prep for next week. Again we are not looking for any analysis in that assignment just a brief summation of the chapter. No worries. See the Discussion Board Instructions for more detail.

**Please also take the time to post something about yourself in the Discussion Board area called the “Course Community Center. This is an important way for us to be able to get to know one another and also for you to post prayer requests. (Any questions pertaining to the course should be sent by e-mail.)

Okay…that is enough for now…you have enough reading to do without me writing another book for you:<). Later in the week look for my posting on some items that will be on the quiz that often need a second glance in your study…
*Enjoy your lessons and recall the 1st quiz will be due next Monday the 26th by midnight.
Last thing…if you are a new student at Liberty 'welcome aboard'. Do not be shy about asking what may seem like silly questions. That goes for everyone.:<) AND… PLEASE KEEP UP WITH THESE WEEKLY MEMOS:<) They really do answer questions…

Blessings.

Lee Webb

so what do i need to do first i am confused?

I have The promise and the blessing : a historical survey of the old and new testaments by michael A. Harbin

how to read the buible for all its worth by fee and stuart

i have courgagerous faith by ed hindson
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: I started university March 19,2012

Postby Steph » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:11 pm

I hope your university course goes well, Jar-you have come a long way and you should be proud of yourself :D
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:25 am

Good luck, Jar! I really hope it goes well, I agree with Steph, you should be proud! :D
Remus
Site Admin

Postby trembz9393 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:02 pm

I thought you wanted to teach children lol. I don't think this would be much help if your going teaching little kids because most of them can't even pernounce the word "biblical genre", let alone have a critical discussion about it. :lol: Man, the hoops they make college students jump through! Is this optional or are you taking it by choice? Because if you are, it's still good to be more educated I guess. :) You can never learn too much. Anyway, I would start on that fee book because you are going to have put something on your discussion board pretty soon. Also go over the what ever the quiz material is because those are worth something. Idk if this is cheating but you might want to also look into getting the books on tape, and plus there are probably very good cliff notes online. Don't use their exact words though, of course I don't need to tell you that.
trembz9393
Advanced Member

Postby carebear15 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:14 pm

yeah are you going to be getting me in trouble. It is required courses not optional. Now i have left is education 200 if someone can tell me what to write. just kidding no body kill me for that. i don't want to be in trouble.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby trembz9393 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:01 pm

carebear15 wrote:yeah are you going to be getting me in trouble. It is required courses not optional. Now i have left is education 200 if someone can tell me what to write. just kidding no body kill me for that. i don't want to be in trouble.

What does the paper you are writing, have to be based off of?
trembz9393
Advanced Member

Postby nathanw-j » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:51 pm

why wouold you choose to take RE when you dont have to??? i dont get why
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:43 pm

It's all to do with personal preference. I took RE GCSE at school (we had to do compulsory RE but most people took short course RE whereas around 15 of us took the full GCSE) and I loved all the moral debates. I ended up getting an A in it.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby nathanw-j » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:51 pm

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: how is it interesting i keep falling asleep in it :oops:
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby 07williamsdj » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:10 pm

congratulations and I hope it is going well for you :).

nathanw-h wrote: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: how is it interesting i keep falling asleep in it :oops:

Some people have different opinions, I think RE can be very interesting as I love the debates as well. I also found it interesting to learn about other peoples beleifs.
07williamsdj

Postby nathanw-j » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:13 pm

07williamsdj wrote:congratulations and I hope it is going well for you :).

nathanw-h wrote: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: how is it interesting i keep falling asleep in it :oops:

Some people have different opinions, I think RE can be very interesting as I love the debates as well. I also found it interesting to learn about other peoples beleifs.

i dont like debates i cant talk in front of people i am not comfortable with without freezing up and staring to the left
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby 07williamsdj » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:16 pm

nathanw-h wrote:
07williamsdj wrote:congratulations and I hope it is going well for you :).

i dont like debates i cant talk in front of people i am not comfortable with without freezing up and staring to the left

I don't normaly contribute to the debates, I just like listening to them.
07williamsdj

Postby Steph » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:43 pm

As 07WilliamsDJ said, everybody has their own preferences-it all depends on how your brain works. I have always been attracted to Humanities subjects-after GCSE RE, I did Psychology at AS Level and Sociology to A Level and then on to degree level so my brain likes those sorts of subjects. Other people can't stand such verbal subjects and prefer Maths or Science based subjects. Nothing wrong with that!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby wadey » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Like both Dan and Steph have said we all have our own opinions some people find R.E interesting and they is nothing at all wrong with that! They will be some things that you find intersting and other people don't. we are all different and we are all allowed to have our own intrest and opinions!!!
wadey
Site Admin

Postby catherinemealy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:38 am

Good Luck
catherinemealy

Return to Study Support