Condensing information down into revision notes

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Condensing information down into revision notes

Postby kat95 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:19 pm

Hello
Basically I need some help with my as history revision. My teacher writes notes for us, but he does them in the form of very thick booklets and they are handwritten and so are very time consuming to read. As I have a folder full of these booklets, I really have no idea how to try and learn information from them. So if anybody has an ideas on how to condense information down into short notes which can be learnt, I would be really grateful :) Thanks
kat95
Mega Poster

Re: Condensing information down into revision notes

Postby Rodge1991 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:52 pm

I hope the following helps:

I always tried to either brainstorm (spider diagram, whatever you call it) or bullet point the main points I need to remember, it makes it far easier to remember than paragraphs of info. I have also tried, and has actually worked, to draw out the information as a diagram rather than have it in writing then stick it to my wall. I cannot draw, but as long as I know what it means it doesn't matter!

My sister on occasion draws the information as little pictures to help her remember it visually. Like to remember a certain date she would draw a (fruit) date followed by the actual date in a bold stand out writing. So when it came to the exam she could visualise the document she had produced along with the little pictures.

Everyone has different ways of learning, and if my ideas don't work then I am sure someone will come up with an idea best suited to your learning taste.

Good luck!
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Re: Condensing information down into revision notes

Postby kat95 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi Rodge1991 thank you very much for your ideas, both of them actually I think will be quite useful. I can't draw either but like you said if I can understand the pictures, then what does it matter. Anyway I will definitely try the spider diagram, it will be much quicker than reading my notes through anyway and I might actually take stuff in. So thank you very much for your help :)
kat95
Mega Poster

Return to Study Support