Procrastinating

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Procrastinating

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Fri May 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Help! I can't stop.

Every time I have an assignment to do, I leave it to the last minute, which is effecting my grades. Most the time I still manage to pass, but not always.

And now, I'm definatly going to fail an assingment, because I left the work untill the last few days. Then when I tried to do it, I found I can't get the program I'm using to work. and I was to scared to ask for help. now It's way too late, and I'm not going to be able to do the assignment properly. I'l be able to get something done, but it completly misses the point of the assignment, I'll definatly fail.

Every time, I tell myself I'll do it sooner next time, but I don't. I never do. I just wast time doing pointless things. It's getting worse, and I'm leaving stuff later and later.

How do I break the Habbit? I really want to, but I just don't know how. Please help! I don't want to fail uni, but If I keep going on like this, I will.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Procrastinating

Postby galexy96 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi, I know how you feel, I think we all have our battles with procrastination. I keep on procrastinating when I'm meant to be revising for my GCSE's which start next week :shock: .

In terms of helping you stop, here is a video by youtuber Charlie Mcdonnell with some tips on how to reduce procrastination. I hope it helps you a little :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjIsdbBsE8g
:mrgreen:
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby kat95 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:53 pm

Same here. Procastination is my complete enemy especially now with my as exams next week! argggh.... anyway in terms of helping yourself to stop procastinating I would try and set yourself out a timetable or a system of goals and rewards. Split the assignment up into simple steps eg for my as history i have split the fascist consolidation of power into 1) name main events of the fascist consolidation of power 2) describe the main events 3) highlight key words. Write these tasks according to your attention span, eg if you have an attention span of about 45 minutes then try and make each task fit 45 minutes or if not join all the tasks together to make it fit the time of your attention span.
Then reward yourself with a break, it helps me to plan what I am going to do in my break eg I am going to make a cup of tea and read my book, so that I do not waste time flitting about and set a timer to make sure you do not lose track of time.

I hope this makes sense, feel free to ask if it does not, as usual brain is not completely in gear!
Katie
kat95
Mega Poster

Postby kat95 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:54 pm

By the way good luck with your gcses galaxy 96 next week. My as levels are next week as well!
kat95
Mega Poster

Postby galexy96 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks, good luck with you AS levels :)
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Fri May 11, 2012 9:16 pm

kat95 wrote: Same here. Procastination is my complete enemy especially now with my as exams next week! argggh.... anyway in terms of helping yourself to stop procastinating I would try and set yourself out a timetable or a system of goals and rewards. Split the assignment up into simple steps eg for my as history i have split the fascist consolidation of power into 1) name main events of the fascist consolidation of power 2) describe the main events 3) highlight key words. Write these tasks according to your attention span, eg if you have an attention span of about 45 minutes then try and make each task fit 45 minutes or if not join all the tasks together to make it fit the time of your attention span.
Then reward yourself with a break, it helps me to plan what I am going to do in my break eg I am going to make a cup of tea and read my book, so that I do not waste time flitting about and set a timer to make sure you do not lose track of time.

I hope this makes sense, feel free to ask if it does not, as usual brain is not completely in gear!
Katie

The problem with that is I put off splitting tasks up etc in the same way I put the work off.

galexy96 wrote:Hi, I know how you feel, I think we all have our battles with procrastination. I keep on procrastinating when I'm meant to be revising for my GCSE's which start next week :shock: .

In terms of helping you stop, here is a video by youtuber Charlie Mcdonnell with some tips on how to reduce procrastination. I hope it helps you a little :

I liked the video, it might help a bit.

I hope you guys do well in your exams. and I hope you overcome your procrastination sooner than I did, or else you'll end up like me - I think my addiction to procrastinating started during school, although I'm not entirely sure.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Fri May 11, 2012 9:50 pm

I have to say procrastination was never an issue for me but I think the tips given here are good and I hope they work for you. Good luck with your exams, Lucy and Kat95.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Wed May 16, 2012 9:56 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:Every time, I tell myself I'll do it sooner next time, but I don't. I never do.

Exactly this, I'm so skilled at it, I'm like the king of procrastinating! :lol: I used to be really good but nowadays, just awful, I really do put things off to the last minute. Although, I also find I'm quite good under that type of pressure and usually, some of my best work is produced the night before a deadline.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby nathanw-j » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:14 am

saw this on an website and it made me smile - http://iwastesomuchtime.com/on/?i=72483
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Luna_is_so_cool_like » Tue May 14, 2013 7:00 am

galexy96 wrote:Hi, I know how you feel, I think we all have our battles with procrastination. I keep on procrastinating when I'm meant to be revising for my GCSE's which start next week :shock: .

CHARLIEEEE!!!! MY HUSBAND!!!! :D
I HAVE FOUND ANOTHER CHARLIE FAN?
- If ever you feel hella sad, just remember that you're hella rad -
Luna_is_so_cool_like
Splendiferous Member

Postby Remus » Thu May 16, 2013 12:57 pm

nathanw-j wrote:saw this on an website and it made me smile - http://iwastesomuchtime.com/on/?i=72483

Ha, I love sites like that Nathan. :D
Remus
Site Admin

Return to Study Support