Switch to full style
Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.
Post a reply

Procrastinating

Fri May 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Help! I can't stop.

Every time I have an assignment to do, I leave it to the last minute, which is effecting my grades. Most the time I still manage to pass, but not always.

And now, I'm definatly going to fail an assingment, because I left the work untill the last few days. Then when I tried to do it, I found I can't get the program I'm using to work. and I was to scared to ask for help. now It's way too late, and I'm not going to be able to do the assignment properly. I'l be able to get something done, but it completly misses the point of the assignment, I'll definatly fail.

Every time, I tell myself I'll do it sooner next time, but I don't. I never do. I just wast time doing pointless things. It's getting worse, and I'm leaving stuff later and later.

How do I break the Habbit? I really want to, but I just don't know how. Please help! I don't want to fail uni, but If I keep going on like this, I will.

Re: Procrastinating

Fri May 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi, I know how you feel, I think we all have our battles with procrastination. I keep on procrastinating when I'm meant to be revising for my GCSE's which start next week :shock: .

In terms of helping you stop, here is a video by youtuber Charlie Mcdonnell with some tips on how to reduce procrastination. I hope it helps you a little :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjIsdbBsE8g
:mrgreen:

Re: Procrastinating

Fri May 11, 2012 4:53 pm

Same here. Procastination is my complete enemy especially now with my as exams next week! argggh.... anyway in terms of helping yourself to stop procastinating I would try and set yourself out a timetable or a system of goals and rewards. Split the assignment up into simple steps eg for my as history i have split the fascist consolidation of power into 1) name main events of the fascist consolidation of power 2) describe the main events 3) highlight key words. Write these tasks according to your attention span, eg if you have an attention span of about 45 minutes then try and make each task fit 45 minutes or if not join all the tasks together to make it fit the time of your attention span.
Then reward yourself with a break, it helps me to plan what I am going to do in my break eg I am going to make a cup of tea and read my book, so that I do not waste time flitting about and set a timer to make sure you do not lose track of time.

I hope this makes sense, feel free to ask if it does not, as usual brain is not completely in gear!
Katie

Re: Procrastinating

Fri May 11, 2012 4:54 pm

By the way good luck with your gcses galaxy 96 next week. My as levels are next week as well!

Re: Procrastinating

Fri May 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks, good luck with you AS levels :)

Re: Procrastinating

Fri May 11, 2012 9:16 pm

kat95 wrote: Same here. Procastination is my complete enemy especially now with my as exams next week! argggh.... anyway in terms of helping yourself to stop procastinating I would try and set yourself out a timetable or a system of goals and rewards. Split the assignment up into simple steps eg for my as history i have split the fascist consolidation of power into 1) name main events of the fascist consolidation of power 2) describe the main events 3) highlight key words. Write these tasks according to your attention span, eg if you have an attention span of about 45 minutes then try and make each task fit 45 minutes or if not join all the tasks together to make it fit the time of your attention span.
Then reward yourself with a break, it helps me to plan what I am going to do in my break eg I am going to make a cup of tea and read my book, so that I do not waste time flitting about and set a timer to make sure you do not lose track of time.

I hope this makes sense, feel free to ask if it does not, as usual brain is not completely in gear!
Katie


The problem with that is I put off splitting tasks up etc in the same way I put the work off.

galexy96 wrote:Hi, I know how you feel, I think we all have our battles with procrastination. I keep on procrastinating when I'm meant to be revising for my GCSE's which start next week :shock: .

In terms of helping you stop, here is a video by youtuber Charlie Mcdonnell with some tips on how to reduce procrastination. I hope it helps you a little :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjIsdbBsE8g
:mrgreen:


I liked the video, it might help a bit.

I hope you guys do well in your exams. and I hope you overcome your procrastination sooner than I did, or else you'll end up like me - I think my addiction to procrastinating started during school, although I'm not entirely sure.

Re: Procrastinating

Fri May 11, 2012 9:50 pm

I have to say procrastination was never an issue for me but I think the tips given here are good and I hope they work for you. Good luck with your exams, Lucy and Kat95.

Re: Procrastinating

Wed May 16, 2012 9:56 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:Every time, I tell myself I'll do it sooner next time, but I don't. I never do.


Exactly this, I'm so skilled at it, I'm like the king of procrastinating! :lol: I used to be really good but nowadays, just awful, I really do put things off to the last minute. Although, I also find I'm quite good under that type of pressure and usually, some of my best work is produced the night before a deadline.

Re: Procrastinating

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:14 am

saw this on an website and it made me smile - http://iwastesomuchtime.com/on/?i=72483

Re: Procrastinating

Tue May 14, 2013 7:00 am

galexy96 wrote:Hi, I know how you feel, I think we all have our battles with procrastination. I keep on procrastinating when I'm meant to be revising for my GCSE's which start next week :shock: .

In terms of helping you stop, here is a video by youtuber Charlie Mcdonnell with some tips on how to reduce procrastination. I hope it helps you a little :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjIsdbBsE8g
:mrgreen:


CHARLIEEEE!!!! MY HUSBAND!!!! :D
I HAVE FOUND ANOTHER CHARLIE FAN?

Re: Procrastinating

Thu May 16, 2013 12:57 pm

nathanw-j wrote:saw this on an website and it made me smile - http://iwastesomuchtime.com/on/?i=72483


Ha, I love sites like that Nathan. :D
Post a reply