Driving

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Driving

Postby ashley964 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:38 am

Hey guys,
I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for driving, being comfortable on the road and achieving a full license?
Thanks for taking your time to read this post :)
ashley964

Re: Driving

Postby Steph » Mon May 21, 2012 11:58 am

Sorry-I can't help as I have been refused a provisional licence 10 times due to dyspraxia. The DVLA want me to take a special driving test to see if I would be safe on the road but the centre that run these tests have said that I need a provisional licence first. I hope you get to pass your driving test though.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Tue May 22, 2012 6:00 pm

I'm afraid I cannot help either, I've never attempted to learn how to drive although I do want to give it a go sometime in the future. I don't know if there is anybody who can actually drive on here, I cannot recall anyone but I wish you good luck on your driving.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby award » Thu May 24, 2012 2:39 pm

yeah, i can drive
find an open instructor who has history teaching ND's to drive i had a very good instructor.
defently go for it as far as im aware you dont have to report dyspraxica to the DVLA.
if you need any other help email me or PM me and ill be happy to help

Good Luck

ps . i can now also drive "Blue Light" as an emergecy driver and they had no problame with my dyspraxcia or aspergers
-------------------------------------
Adam
award
Site Admin

Postby C » Tue May 29, 2012 8:18 pm

I can't really help either... I had driving lessons for over two years in a manual car before hearing about driving ability assessment with the DVLA. To be honest, I was already thinking that driving was not for me and I was incapable of safely driving a car but I felt really pressured into it by other people. So I went for the assessment and the guy doing it originally said he thought I'd be okay in an automatic car. He took over my driving lessons with me learning in an automatic and I thought I'd give it six months and then review the situation. But a couple of months in he said he was losing hope in me. He was a really good driving instructor, he'd just made a mistake in my particular case. I took his advice and don't drive. It's a pain getting public transport and I do worry about not driving - not only for my practical convienience but also with dealing with things like going to work in the future (some jobs ask for people who can drive/have own transport. Also, public transport is not always reliable so if I had to get the bus/train to work I'd probably either get there extremely early because of the timings of trains/buses or risk getting there late). But I think I made the right decision for me in giving up.

My biggest piece of advice would probably be to have a DVLA assessment before you do anything else - don't be like me and waste years of time and money attempting to do something if you're not going to be able to do it. On the other hand, if you do have the ability, the driving assessment will tell you this and give you more confidence and may make some recommendations and suggest tips for you (such as using an automatic car).
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby rawr » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:27 pm

I have tried when I was 10, my dad let me in his car... no one told me the harder you press on the pedal thing the faster you go :oops: so I put my foot on the pedal all the way down stared screaming and froze not knowing what to do, and after the little hilly bit after the car park was a drop with marsh. I yanked the keys out and jumped out the car. My dad was laughing. Dont think I will want to drive anytime soon. A woman shouted at me cause where the wheels span all gravel flirted up her car :shock:
rawr

Postby SaneInACrazyWorld » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:25 am

Hi there,

just focus, dont get distracted! Ive sat and failed two test simply becuase i wasnt paying enough attention to the world around me, both times cars had to stop for me when I powerd through roundabouts!!!
SaneInACrazyWorld

Return to Study Support