Final year/dissertation

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Final year/dissertation

Postby cosmiccreeper » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:52 am

I am about to go into final year at university in a few weeks. While my more recent grades were better than my ones in my second year I'm still not looking forward to it. I will need to write a 10,000 word dissertation along with all my other work, and the thought of it unnerves me quite a bit sometimes. I have a topic that I think I like, but I'm not looking forward to working on a very long-term project while doing other things at the same time (weekly tutorial homeworks, term essays and so on) that really test my organisational skills and make me question my own ability. Yet I'm sure I can do this. Does anyone have any experience of getting through coursework/dissertations?

I also find everyday tasks like laundry, cooking, shopping etc a drag, and they need to be managed along with a heavy workload. People on this forum seem to have similar problems with this area of independent living. Do you have any suggestions?
cosmiccreeper
Advanced Member

Re: Final year/dissertation

Postby hayleystarmix » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:11 pm

I'm only a second year but I think what helped me most with my essays was zooming out on the situation, I dont know about other dyspraxics but I often find I waffle alot when writing academic texts. Looking outside the box helped me see things which were relevent to my subject which I could write about or expand a particular topic. None of my essays score particularly high ever because I let myself down and have poor organisation skills and leave most things to the last minute then get stressed about it all.
As for laundary and everyday problems I dont find the concept of doing them hard or stressful but when I have a few things to do in the day I get VERY stressed, often rushing things just to get them done, constantly feel like mountain after mountain with the simplest of tasks even washing up. I know EVERYONE says this but writing lists for the next day the night before helps me greatly and means I can keep looking at it and crossing things out if there done, most important is making is managable, no point working yourself to the bone because you'll be no good for the next day.
I priotise things by how long they'll take aswell, short little tasks I do during the day between work and then ill do longer tasks in the evening, means I know ive got enough time and I wont have to stop half way through to start again.
Good luck anyway!
hayleystarmix

Postby cosmiccreeper » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:30 am

Thank you for your advice hayleystarmix, the year has started now and so far I'm having a hard time getting up the motivation but I think it will come soon :) I guess I've been very worried about it. Still am, to tell you the truth! But nice to know I'm not alone!
cosmiccreeper
Advanced Member

Postby jpe123 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:34 pm

I am in the same boat as you. Recently I have bought myself a couple of magnetic whiteboards, one for things I need to do, and one which is split into each day of the week. I write on little magnetic whiteboard stips all the things I need to do and then each week, I fill the weekly board up with all the things I plan to do each day. This allows me to clearly visualise what needs to be done and by having a set list of things to do each day, I get great satisfaction from taking them of the board when they are done. I would really suggest a system like this to help organise yourself. It may not help you do the actual work, but it certainly helps you to remember dates and plan work/ social life. I also have a mini notebook that I use to jot dates and things down on the go so that I can put them up on the board later that day. Hope this helps you.
jpe123

Return to Study Support