Humanities revision and lack of motivation

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Humanities revision and lack of motivation

Postby kat95 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:50 pm

My A levels are getting increasingly more stressful and the work set as I am doing all humanities aside from Psychology is very time consuming and difficult to revise for.
Does anybody have any suggestions on ways to revise things in a less verbal way, my revision strategy at the moment is to write everything out again but this is very time consuming and makes my hand ache a lot although I can touch type it does not go in as well if I touch type my notes.
As well as this I am finding that I am becoming increasingly un motivated even for the subjects I enjoy does anybody know any ways of dealing with this?
Thanks
Katie
kat95
Mega Poster

Re: Humanities revision and lack of motivation

Postby Steph » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Have you tried dictating your notes and then listening to them on a tape or IPod? Flash cards could help too but, to be honest, I think any revision is going to be quite verbally biased simply because the subjects are. When you mention lack of motivation, is that because you are finding the subjects hard or is it a more general thing? How much learning support do you get? Perhaps it might be worth speaking to the SENCO about getting more support.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby wadey » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:52 pm

I agree with what Steph have said. With the motivation it might be an idea to give yourself some time to relax. You can also ask friends to revise with you and then you can test each other
wadey
Site Admin

Postby kat95 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:25 am

Thanks Steph I shall give dictating my notes ago. I have tried flashcards before but I have a tendency to fill them up to the fullest extent which makes them difficult to revise from. The motivation I think stems from the fact that I do find one of my subjects particularly challenging and this is geography. I like the human side of geography as it is more verbally based which is what I am strongest at but I find the physical side of geography very challenging as it involves lots of diagrams and graphs. What I need to do is a find a way of revising these diagrams so that I have a clear picture of them in the exam when trying to remember them. I do not really get any learning support now but I can go to the SENCO and ask for help if I need it. I think its just kind of expected at my school that you know how to revise by this point as I am in Year 13.

Thanks Wadey I do try to schedule time for relaxing but the tendency i have begun to slip into is to work for a long period of time then have a very very long break as I am consistently getting distracted. Time management has never quite been my strong point.
kat95
Mega Poster

Postby Remus » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:49 pm

I think with revision, it's all about what type of learner you are e.g. visual, auditory, kinesthetic. For me, I was always quite a visual learner, remembering from pictures and videos which is why I did better with subjects such as English and Media as with things such as Romeo and Juliet, I could easily replay the film and a certain act in my mind where other subjects such as Maths which didn't have any visual aids, I struggled with but yeah, if I could associate something with a image, I am much more likely to remember it so maybe, whatever type of learner you are, you can try and find a way to adapt your revision to suit that type.

As for motivation, that is a much more difficult puzzle to solve and it is often one that only you can figure out for yourself. If I was you thought, I would try and remind yourself of why you are doing your A-levels, for the future, career, achievement etc. Like Lucy said as well, give yourself time to relax and think planning and time management is the key and although you say it is not your strongest point, try not to focus on that fact and just take little planning steps first to practice.

What always helped me also was me bribing myself to do the work. For example, if I finish that page, I can watch that programme tonight or if I complete that report, I can buy that book or DVD I've been wanting. I think setting yourself little rewards is a really good way of motivating yourself and it is important to reflect on a job well done and reward yourself for the effort.
Remus
Site Admin

Return to Study Support