Struggling with A levels

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Struggling with A levels

Postby kat95 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Recently, I have really began to struggle with my schoolwork. I thought it was lack of motivation but since I now have my university offers, I have begun to realise that it may be a lack of concentration. When I sit down to start a piece of work it takes me a good 15 minutes to get stuck into the work which involves an immense amount of concentration. After this 15 minutes I can no longer concentrate which is odd because I am able to deal with hour long lessons at school and then I begin to flit from task to schoolwork without really getting anything done. Secondly I am beginning to really worry about the way I structure essays. Today I got an essay back from Classical Civilisation teacher which I got a D for. I read through the essay with my teacher and he explained as he does on various occasions that he was surprised by my grade as my comments in class are very very good and he thinks I am capable of an A grade. What I can not seem to figure out is why I can not transfer my oral thoughts onto paper. I never seem to make the same points or come across as eloquently and therefore this has a detrimental effect on my grade. I do not know if this is a dyspraxic trait but I would really appreciate any advice on the subject as I am going to rewrite the essay aiming to get a much higher grade which I think I am more capable of.
kat95
Mega Poster

Re: Struggling with A levels

Postby BethanyGillam » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:09 am

I have this problem too. Dyspraxia can involve a retardment in yor nuerone pathways. This means that you don't finnish one thought before you start another. This makes it hard to write down tge thought you want to because you have numerous other thoughts happening. I take ritalain and it helps me. Also, i always do plans for essays. As this allows me to get all of my thoughts out of my head. so when i write the essay i pnly focus on one point at a time. I hope this helps and good luck.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby Steph » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:10 am

Knowing exactly what to say about a topic in class but not being able to do this on paper is a trait that's common to all of the specific learning difficulties. At university, I was often one of the most vocal people in seminars but some of my essays received awful marks! Maybe you concentrate more at school because there is less to distract you in the environment? If so, remove any electrical equipment from your room apart from the computer that you need to type on and be firm with yourself. Don't put them back until you have done a decently sized piece of work. This may help. If the issue is with writing/typing, could you be allowed to dictate your answers? In some cases, students are allowed to do this but I'm not sure what the qualifying criteria is for this adjustment.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Rodge1991 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:37 am

I am the opposite! I have difficulty to get structured thoughts out vocally, but give me a piece of paper and my thoughts can splash across the page with ease.....as long as you can understand my 'splashy' hand-writing!

As for concentration have you tried listening to music? Perhaps you cannot concentrate in dead silence or need others around to concentrate?
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Postby kat95 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:08 pm

Thank you for the advice Rodge 1991. In regards to concentrating, I usually do listen to music but when I am revising this is impossible. However taking your advice into account I hunted around and have found a great website which offers free background noise which I am going to try out to see whether it helps. Hopefully it should hopefully help to me sleep better as well which should help with my concentration.

Thanks Steph, I have found that removing distractions helps, this is much easier at school as there is not so many electrical devices around and I am planning to try and stay at school afterschool in order to get more work done.

Unfortunately I still am making no headway with this essay. I really need to get it done by Tuesday and to be honest I do not know where to start. I already have the previous copy of the essay which I got the bad grade on but really need advice on how to get started. Can anybody help?

Bethany Just saw your post I do try to make plans for my essays but it is the making of the plans that I actually find difficult as the points that I actually make in the plans are in my opinion not useful enough for the essay and therefore I always write completely different points not from the plan in my essay

The title of the essay is one of the How important is x to y? questions and although I have been able to answer this question in class orally I really do not know how to transfer these oral thoughts onto paper. Sorry for all of the questions. And thanks for all your advice.
kat95
Mega Poster

Return to Study Support