Mirror Writing.

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Mirror Writing.

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:59 am

When I was younger, I often used to write "mirror writing" in my excercise books. Mirror writing, for anyone who doesn't know, is writing backwards, so that if you hold the writing up to a mirror, it looks normal.
I did this unintentionally, it just sort of happenned.
I've grown out of this now, but I can still do mirror-writing.
I'm not left-handed or ambidextrous, by the way.
Does anyone have similar experiences?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:52 pm

Unintentional mirror-writing is sometimes a symptom of dyslexia, but I doubt whether a dyslexic person would be able to deliberately produce it. I myself can't do it.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:56 am

I think I could do it if I tried for a long time. Sounds hard.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:56 am

Apparently, Leonardo Da Vinci did it. That can only mean one thing.
I am a re-incarnation of Leonardo Da Vinci. So ner.
I bet you're all just re-incarnations of anteaters or something rubbish :wink: :twisted:
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Jemstone123 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:16 pm

I did when i was in priamary school but it was only with numbers likw a backwards 3 or 5 lol 8) i have grown out of it lol :wink:
Jemstone123

Postby Joss1991 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:47 am

i can imagine it in my head but when i come to write it down it just looks like something completely diffrent
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby carrie » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:05 pm

did when it was little and do it now if i am tired did a whole page once without realising
smile it could be worse

carrie

MY blog all about me and muy interests a bit like an online diary

http://runrigangelic.blogspot.com
carrie
Forum Master

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:13 am

Sometimes, I type out work but forget to put my name on it when I type it, so I write my name by hand. Lately, I seem to be writing my name on ytyped sheets in mirror-writing a lot.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby monkey » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:24 am

i can read and write as fluently in mirror wiritng as in 'normal' writing. but i have trouble telling the difference. if im tiered i may not concentraite and just start writing mirror and not notice.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:39 pm

I occasionally reverse numbers, but that is all.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Creative » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:32 pm

What I find is that when there are blocks of print then I skip words without realising and find them tiring to read. This is why I like books with lots of direct speech. Another problem is getting into Adult fiction. I can't do it. The sentances and the launguage seem so difficult. I worry I will be reading teenage books when I am 30
Creative
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:42 pm

Do you have dyslexia, Creative? Or Irlen Syndrome?
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby eDan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:08 pm

I've not heard of Irlen Syndrome before, but am reading about online. (This page lists the signs of it.) I sometimes have difficulty reading. Unless it's something particularly engaging, I tend to get tired quickly when reading books, newspapers or magazines (although not so on the net generally.) It maybe due to my choosing to read mainly late on in the evenings, and also while lying on my bed(!) - however I recognise several of the other symptoms as well. Could some be dyspraxia related though?

For instance:

I am absolutely hopeless at filling in forms. I tend not to be able to concentrate on what I'm writing and will almost make a mistake on every form I fill in, even if it's writing personal details like address or e-mail. (Thank goodness for Word Processors).

I prefer reading in dim light - although I do prefer dim light generally.

I lose my place quite easily when reading, and from time to time use my finger to track where I am, especially if I look up from the book for a moment.

I may forget what I've just read, but then I may forget anything I've just done!

If I'm writing I might get a letter ahead of myself, e.g. if writing dyspraxia I may write 'dysp a', and then go back to write in the missing 'r'.

Any ideas?
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:09 am

When the article about me was published in The Times, a woman wrote me a letter saying, "Don't feel I mean to pour cold water on your achievements, but it sounds to me as if you have Irlen Syndrome rather than dyspraxia. I know a girl who was, like you, diagnosed with severe dyspraxia but who actually has Irlen Syndrome. Don't feel worried if you haven't heard of it - many professionals don't know about it! Contact me for details of an assessment."

She based her judgement on one relatively short article that focused almost exclusively on my depth perception. I wasn't pleased. As it happens, I had already had a test for Irlen Syndrome (a colorimetry assessment) that can be performed by an optometrist. If you are curious about this, Dan, you could try finding one in the Yellow Pages. They are sure to abound in London.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby eDan » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:15 pm

Thanks, I'll add it to the list of disorders that I'm trying to look into!
eDan
Splendiferous Member

Next

Return to Study Support