Blurred words

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Blurred words

Postby ~Jenny~ » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:09 pm

does anyone else find when reading a page that's printed black on white the page goes blurry and you have to move to refocus the words?

i get it quite a bit but it doesn't happen when it's printed on off-white or when it's blue on white. I have mentioned it to my optician many times but they haven't said anything about why it might be or found any reason for it

does anyone have any advice on what i can do to help stop this from happening?[/b]
~Jenny~
Forum Master

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:58 am

Do you have glasses? Because maybe if you don't, you may need some. I used to move my book closer to my face when I couldn't read because I needed glasses. I am nearsighted and so I can' see things as well from far away. 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:33 am

Talk to your optician again. If he/she can't help, try another optician.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:38 am

I find it very difficult reading black text on a white background, when i print things out they are normaly printed on blue paper. I also have layovers which are a kinda bluey/turquoise type color that i can put over any color paper and it makes things easier for me to read......

There is a lot of research done with dyslexia and color...

Good luck and keep on at your optican, or if your in educatioon mention it to a special ed teacher

x
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:19 pm

Individuals with Irlen Syndrome see the printed page differently from those with normal vision and must constantly adapt to distortions appearing on the printed page. They may be slow or inefficient readers, exhibit poor comprehension, suffer from strain, fatigue or headaches. It can affect their attention-span, energy-level, motivation, handwriting, depth-perception and, ultimately, self-esteem. Irlen syndrome sufferers may be labeled as underachievers with behavioural, attitudinal, or motivational problems. It is a complex and variable condition sometimes found to co-exist with other learning-disabilities.
- www.irlen.com

This is not an ordinary eye problem. A standard optician won't be able to help.

It is known as Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome, Meares-Irlen Syndrome, or - more simply - plain old Irlen Syndrome.

Irlen Syndrome often overlaps with dyspraxia. It can be corrected through the use of coloured lenses. I had to go to an optometrist for a special colourimetry assessment, and she prescribed me a pair of emerald-green glasses. The test is very precise. Although all numbers are much easier for me to read if they are on a green background of some sort, the richer the shade the better it is for me.

More information can be found here.

www.irlen.com
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:30 pm

thanks for the actual name as im stupid (well not stupuid but my mind went blank) :wink:

x
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Study Support