Time management

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Time management

Postby QuintessentialQuidnunc » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:12 pm

Hi, I hope I'm writing this in the right place and that my problems with things like internal clocks(like having an instinctive appreciation for measuring time,only, without external help(like a clock or sunlight.)

I have a REALLY hard time managing my time, partly because it takes lots of practice, and partly because I can't
seem to "feel" time rushing past me. Sometimes I'm too absorbed by whatever it was I was in the process of doing . I can have trouble managing to focus on small, step to step tasks, that could help keeping me organised.

Any ideas on how to help me and people like me be a little more systematic.

Thanks!
Last edited by QuintessentialQuidnunc on Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuintessentialQuidnunc

Postby Xx_vampire_xX » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:00 pm

I used to be very unorganized. In fact in ways I still am. The best thing to do is to make a timetable for everyday of the week from when you wake up till went you go to sleep. A personal orangizer would be good one that beeps when you have a event. This way you know when your next thing is.
Hope this helps Laura xx
Xx_vampire_xX
Super Poster

Postby parnassus » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:06 am

Routine, routine, routine. Knowing that you always have lunch at twelve o'clock on a Saturday, that you always go out for a walk at one-thirty, that you always start your revision at three o'clock on the dot will help you to appreciate what different units of time feel like. (An hour and a half between lunch and walk, for example.) Timetables and checklists are very effective, as are alarm clocks. I often get very absorbed in different activities, which is wonderful - but not when I have many other things to accomplish. So I set an alarm clock to 'wake myself up' after I've spent a sufficient amount of time on that activity.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:14 pm

Have a digital watch (easier to read than analogue).
Make timetables for revision etc. Set alarms to go off every hour or something.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Re: Time management

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:08 pm

QuintessentialQuidnunc wrote:Hi, I hope I'm writing this in the right place and that my problems with things like internal clocks(like having an instinctive appreciation for measuring time,only, without external help(like a clock or sunlight.)

I have a REALLY hard time managing my time, partly because it takes lots of practice, and partly because I can't
seem to "feel" time rushing past me. Sometimes I'm too absorbed by whatever it was I was in the process of doing . I can have trouble managing to focus on small, step to step tasks, that could help keeping me organised.

Any ideas on how to help me and people like me be a little more systematic.

Thanks!

That happens to me too. I just get absorbed in the thing I am doing and then the time goes way too fast!! I have a digital watch that cost only ten dollars at Target and I wear it all the time so I know what time it is. It has a stopwatch and alarm on it, which help me know how long I've been at something. then I can say, "Oh, okay, been doing homework for an hour. Now I can take a 20 minute break." I just sometimes have willpower problems, as in I take too long of breaks or spend too much time on something I like to do, and not what I have to do. Like today, spent too much time on here. Gotta go! Bye! -Shanna 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:20 pm

Time? I've run out before I've even started! My time management is dreadful! Once on a history test, I spent over half of my time planning! Aaaaghh! My essay wasn't good.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby parnassus » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:13 pm

Do you receive any study support, pinkparrot?
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:14 pm

Define "study support."
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:15 pm

Do you go to a special teacher who helps you to plan your time, to improve your memory, and to overcome dyspraxic difficulties generally? It is sometimes called learning support, sometimes special education.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:20 pm

No. I am currently home-educated.
pinkparrot

Postby parnassus » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:21 pm

Do you have any plans to return to a school setting?
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:22 pm

I am trying to get into private school. What about you?
pinkparrot

Postby Pookie » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:20 pm

I have problems prioritising.
Pookie
Advanced Member

Postby parnassus » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:54 pm

pinkparrot, I'm currently at university, so hopefully I won't have to return to school at any point in the future - unless I go for a visit or armed with a teaching qualification! :D

I used to study here http://www.kirkhamgrammar.co.uk

If ever you feel like going to boarding school, you could do worse than Colditz...
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:59 pm

I don't think boarding school is possible because I always have to have music on at night. I hate silence and can't relax in it. It annoys friends at sleepovers because it wakes them up!
pinkparrot

Next

Return to Study Support